Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mouteau Park bounty....

I saw so much at Mouteau last time we went, that I wanted to go back. The Kingbirds are still standing guard on the wire along the meadow and catching bugs. I love to watch them do that!
Another bird from that same flycatcher family, but not sure which one. A Phobee? I have trouble with the birds in this family. It was catching bugs, also, but I can tell the tail is much different from the Kingbird.

Same bird as above. Sort of speckled...a young bird?

A Black Swallowtail in the area that is "off limits", so I had to shoot from a distance and the wind was blowing. I saw a Monarch in the same area and every shot was blurred. This park is built on an old landfill.
Wild phlox as we approached the lake. There are also wild blackberries growing alll around the lake right now.
A new dragonfly for me! A Banded Pennant (thanks to BugGuide).

This Halloween Pennant looks like it is holding on for dear life!

Almost didn't see this one in the grass.....a Common Whitetail female.

Best shot I have ever gotten of a dragonfly back. I think the wing mechanism of this Eastern Pondhawk looks so "mechanical" and it makes me think of SciFi films.

A very cute little grasshopper that Mike spotted for me! I love that leg pattern! Sort of herringbone.

WARNING: Butterfly sex coming up! XXXX
I saw several of these butterflies.....Pearl Crescents (Thanks, Eve!) and these two were checking each other out.

Soon they were connected end to end.
I'm not sure which is the female and which is the male, but you can see the side markings here.

Certainly kept them busy while I took photos. I felt like a voyeur.
A final "G-rated" image :-)
This park is a great one for small butterflies like these and the tiny Eastern Tailed Blues and small Sulphurs. I've also seen about 6 different types of dragonflies around the lake there.

22 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Bugs, bug and more bugs!! Oh how I love this post Mary!! There are so many fantastic pics here I do not know which ones to comment on. they are all wonderful!! I think the createst capture were the mating butterflies though. Excellent!!

Mary said...

Joan: thanks!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures of the butterflies, Mary. Do you think they cared that you were invading their 'moment'????? ha ha

Love that Kingbird and Phoebe also. Looks like you had another great time at Mouteau Park.

Hugs,
Betsy

Vickie said...

Love your dragonfly images. That Halloween pennant is a real beauty. Would love to know what dragonfly ID book you like. Nice catch of cresents breeding. And kingbirds are one of my favorites!

Arija said...

This post is so full of wonders it is a wonder in itself.

Dorothy said...

So many great shots of these meadow creatures!! All of them are beautiful and interesting! Love that grasshopper!

Kelly said...

You have a lot of photos here...all so pretty! Love the kingbird and so many butterflies!

Richard Lawry said...

Looks like a great place to visit. The photos make me want to go there.

An Arkies Musings

Kerri Farley said...

Absolutely fabulous shots Mary!!
I know what you mean..the dragonfly really does look like something out of a sci fi movie! That grasshopper makes quite a fashion statement!!

Rose said...

Great pictures...I hope everyone enlarges that close-up of the back. It does indeed make me think of a sci-fi movie.

Mary said...

Betsy: I think they were too busy to notice that I was there :-)

Vickie: Thanks for stopping by! I usually try googling images of dragonflies or ask other bloggers or try BugGuide.net. I don't have a guide, but could use one.

Arija: Thanks :-)

Dorothy: Thanks!

Kelly: this park has been great so far this year.

Richies: It is a busy place and very deserted most of the time.

Keri: Yes, the grasshopper was very natty looking. I can see him as a character in a cartoon :-)

Rose: Weird, isn't it?

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Mary, each of these pictures is so good,but I especially like the close-up of the Dragonfly.What an amazing creation this is.
Blessings,Ruth

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

Mary,
I love this posting of birds, flowers, and butterflies. You have such a beautiful blog. Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a great weekend.

Jenny said...

You've got such great bugs and butterflies over there Mary. I love those Pearl Crescents. It reminds me of one of our Fritillaries.

Leedra said...

Great captures! Love the Pearl series. The quilts are in Knoxville right now, but with my busy life not sure I am going to be able to go see them. While at the knitting store today 6 ladies came into together that were here for the quilts, they were from Florida. If I get to go I will let you know.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks....they are really amazing.

Brenda: Thanks! Enjoyed your blog.

Jenny: Eve identified them for me. I still don't have a good guide book. They are a rather small butterfly as you can tell by the clover they are on.

Leedra: OH, lucky you! You should go...it is always a great show. I was so sad when they moved that show to Knoxville from Nashville. I always went every year, but it is just too far to go in one day now. I think a bus trip went from this area, but I didn't sign up for it :-( Take lots of photos if you go!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy Mary..these are great shots. How I wish our weather would warm up and dry up so I could get out there too..I really enjoyed these...Michelle

Becky said...

Awesome pictures Mary. Love the Dragonflies!
I need one of those BUG books.
B.

George said...

These photos are just wonderful. I'd gladly view pictures from Mouteau Park any time you go.

Mary said...

Thank you all! This park always provides good butterfly and dragonfly photos.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Wonderful dragonflies, I learn so much from what you show.

Eve said...

Ha Ha Ha!!! Thanks for the warning Mary!!! Very funny.
Great post, LOVE the dragonflies and it's so fun to find a new one! Thanks!!