Saturday, July 4, 2009

Left-overs from the week.....

A little of this, a little of that...... Young Grackle?
Young Cardinal

I thought these were interesting.

This heron stook there like a statue instead of flying off like most of them. Standing tall
....and from the other side :-)

A very angry Redwing Blackbird that says I am too close to his nest!

All the dragonflies seemed to be female.
Widow Skimmer female
unidentified flower
Young Killdeer, maybe?
Well.....that was a very decisive and informative post! I've got more question marks than anything else. Some weeks are like that.
Happy 4th of July to all of you. Celebrate our freedom and enjoy some family time!

18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Great shots. Happy July 4th. We celebrated our July 1st, Canada Day, by going to our local market.

Kelly said...

Leftovers are always good! Love the heron photos. Happy Fourth. I think the last bird might be a sandpiper of sorts. Maybe a Spotted Sandpiper (although he doesn't look like he's too near water).

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That heron looks like he is standing on a diving board Mary. :)

Betsy Banks Adams said...

As in food, I like 'leftovers' also Mary... Your pictures are always good--and I'm thrilled to see the leftovers. That baby Cardinal is precious!!!!

Hope you all are having a wonderful 4th.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Happy Independence day to you from one of those nasty Brits across the pond! (-:
That looks like a Sandpiper I think, probably Spotted. I love those green ball things on that tree. I wonder if they're a cone or fruit or whether it's a sort of gall?

2sweetnsaxy said...

Great shots as usual. :-) I wouldn't know a male from a female dragonfly.

Have a wonderful 4th of July!
:-)

Arija said...

You know I love visiting your blog, so I have left a little something for you on mine. Hope you like it.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I especially liked the Dragonflies.
Blessings,Ruth

Rose said...

Mary, these are great leftovers! I am having a hard time getting anything new.

Mary said...

Jenn Jilks: Thanks! Hope you had a Happy Canada Day.

Kelly: Glad both you and Jenny are on the ball. I should have known that wasn't a killdeer of any age, but was too lazy to look in the bird book. It was hanging out on a road with some killdeers, so I didn't really think about it. Duh!

Joan: I thought it looked like a diving board too...and he was afraid to jump :-)

Betsy: young cardinals seem to be the main young right now.

Jenny: I tried to find those balls on-line. I didn't know if they were cones in the making or what they were. But they had an attractive pattern. I'll look at them again the next tiem we are there. I know right where they are.

2sweetnsaxy: Thanks! Happy 4th to you, too. After you look them up a few times, you get the hang of which dragonflies are which :-) I see the same 5-6 kinds all the time.

Arija: thank you!

Ruth: I love them when they sit still. I can't seem to get them when they are flying.

Rose: I know what you mean. I haven't seen much new either.

Becky said...

More great Dragonflies.We're in for some warmer weather now, so maybe we'll get some Dragonflies here too. Love those green balls. Summer Christmas decorations on that tree?
B.

Arija said...

Mary, I'm just as bad about passing them on, but once in a while along the way I do manage. That is why I make no conditions, A gift is a gift.

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

I love to see the herons - standing and in flight. Wonderful! A x

DeniseinVA said...

Hi Mary, always a treat to come here and see what you have for us. Enjoyed everything as always. Hope you had a a great 4th of July and are enjoying the start of your week.

abb said...

Ok...now let me in on the secret of being able to tell a female from a male dragonfly...

Love the photos as always, even if you don't know what you shot! ;-)

Eve said...

A nice cornucopia of photos Mary. Jenny’s right, it’s not a killdeer. I saw a Widow Skimmer yesterday! You actually got the photo!
Thanks Mary!

George said...

I'm glad I caught up with this post -- I really like your leftovers. All of the photos show amazing detail.

Mary said...

Annie: No secret :-) I've just learned that the males I see around here are pretty plain....mostly blue, while the females have more colorful bodies...yellow/black and green/black. I had to look them all up last year to learn that much! That's why I post them on my sidebar, so I can remember which is which.

Eve: I see lots of Widow Skimmers and they sit still better than some of the others.