Thursday, July 9, 2009

The King(bird) and I.....

Ever have one of those days when you feel like throwing the camera in the wastebasket...only it isn't the camera's fault??? Take a whole series of what you think are wonderful photos.....only to find out that your favorite ones all look like this..... ......out of focus????? Sigh. I was so mad when I realized that my camera had focused on the clover and not the birds.....(notice I blame the camera rather than my poor skill).
I did get a few good shots even if my favorites were all out of focus.
This family of Kingbirds were sitting on these low wire barriers and the parents were catching bugs to feed the young ones.

This one landed about 5 feet from me, so I managed to not screw up this photo!

A very handsome bird that I don't often see, so I was very excited.

Begging.
" Feed me!"
" Hurry back with some more!"

That was about all the good shots that I got out of about 50 photos. I was so mad at myself when I saw them on the computer, that I actually got in the car and went back to see if the birds were still there several hours later! They were, but had moved to the soccer goals further out in the field.
At least there is no clover to confuse the focusing.....just a lot of net instead...groan.

I had to try to sneak out into the open field nearby without scaring them off.

I got a few more feeding shots, but none as good as the ones that I thought I had earlier. (Of course not...by this time I was too mad at myself to be totally happy :-)
I thought they looked cute like this....easier to feed in this position.
That babe opens its mouth so wide you can see the tip of it over the parent's head!

In the end I was satisfied, but it sure frustrates me when I can't focus right!!
I have a bunch more photos from this park that I will save for the next couple of days.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got some nice shots eventually Mary. You just have to practice with the manual focussing, its not easy especially in bright sunlight. I don't get it right
very often, so I try numerous different shots at different settings and hope for the best when I get home.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I know EXACTLY how you feel my friend!! This has happened to me too and can be very frustrating. Eventually you did get some lovely ones though, so it kind of makes up for those in the begining. I love the feeding ones.

Eve said...

You're not the only one that has that problem Mary!! I took pictures of Morgan with the dogs playing and they are all out of focus!!
I love the Kingbird and your shots are wonderful!!!

Mary said...

Roy: You would get really frustrated with me when it comes to learning more about my camera. I freely admit that I rely on autofocus. It's no wonder it doesn't always do what I want it to do :-) I had a different light problem in Olney yesterday. Light filtering through the trees in the wrong spots while trying to photograph the squirrel on the branches looking toward the light. I don't think that I am smart enough to be a really good photographer. I want technology to make it fool proof (being a fool) and easy! I'll keep trying...too much fun not to.

Joan: I would have quit a long time ago, if I gave up everytime I get out of focus photos. It does seem that I have more of that problem with the new camera then I did with the old one.

Eve: That's really frustrating when it is your child and not just a bunch of birds. I missed some good shots of my niece yesterday smiling at the white squirrels.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh Mary... We've all been there. Sometimes I have to take 50 pictures to get one or two good ones. SO--I understand. You did get some good ones of the Kindbirds though (close-up ones). They are gorgeous birds for sure.

Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

Great series of the Kingbird. I never see this one.

Lindy said...

You do much better with your shots than I do with mine, for certain. I'm sure I would do better if I would only take the time to sit down and read the instruction manual! The setting on my camera that I have most trouble with - and still haven't figured out even WITH reading the manual - is the macro setting. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Then there's all that editing to do after I get a decent shot. I'm still trying to learn that, too.

I do love your 'feeding' shots, especially the fourth from the bottom. Makes me think of "Say ahhh!"

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh Mary,I so understand the frustration.I have too many poor shots,even with what I think is very good equipment,so of course I blame myself.I think you did get some great pictures.
Blessings,Ruth

Shelley said...

I have a problem too w/ the sunlight and trying to focus sometimes- I've been using a hood more on my camera lens. These were nice photos!

Jenny said...

YES! I have those 'chuck the camera down the garden' days too. So often I'm disappointed and feel frustrated. As you say though it really is so much fun and specially now it's all digital and you're not wasting loads and loads and LOADS of film! (-:

Leedra said...

I also had one those days. Mine with butterflies. I was first outside with my macro lens and just went ahead and shot. Then loaded those and went back outside with my telephoto, set to action. Believe it or not the macro shots were better than the ones that should have been. I also was frustrated. So much so that I posted flowers instead of butterflies.

Mary said...

Betsy: Thanks...I know we all go through the frustration...but keep on taking photos :-)

Dorothy: Thanks!

Lindy: I'm not good at learning from a manual. I just get that much more frustrated :-)

Ruth: Some people love to quote the one about "a poor workman blames his tools". Like I don't know that...it is just nicer to blame the camera than admit I messed up.

Shelley: Good idea. I guess we just keep trying new things to see what works.

Jenny: I like your expression..."chuck the camera down the garden"....it made me smile :-) If I was wasting film, I would probably have quit a long time ago.

Leedra: Sounds familiar! It seems like lately that I've had a lot of focusing problems...wrong light, wrong distance, wrong setting.

Now that we've all vented our frustration with our cameras, we can smile and go back out there and take some more photos. We all get it right sometimes!

Becky said...

Oh Mary, been there done that so many times. You definately aren't alone. Sometimes I shoot lots of macro, and then forget to change it back when I'm shooting far away. Frustrating.
You did get lots of good shots though, and after all there was NO film lost!
I love your new header. Still looking for them.
B.

Rose said...

I do this often enough Mary....think I have got some great shots only to have them blurred. I honestly think a big part of it is my lens. It is an el cheapo and sometimes no matter how I try, it can't be focused. Other times, i would swear that what I have taken will be a good one, only to get home and it isn't.

You at least got some good ones here...it would have been worse if you hadn't got any!

Mary said...

Becky: I somehow figured I was talking about a universal problem with all photograhers :-) I think it teaches us patience and humility and we also learn that our photos aren't the "end of the world" most of the time.

Rose:Yes, I am thankful for what I do get that is good, even when I miss something.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat series of shots.

Kelly said...

Fantastic series!!! I love Kingbirds (your title was cute too). Sometimes it seems for every 20 photos I take, I get 1 if I'm lucky that's good! :-)

Anonymous said...

A better question for me might be "Do you ever have a day when you don't feel like throwing the camera in the wastebasket?" If the pictures in my brain could be turned into photos and the camera left behind, I'd be a much better photographer.

Mary said...

Tom: Thanks!

Kelly: 1 out of 20 sounds better than my average on some days :-)

Wren: That is very true! I get mad at my camera at least once a day...even when it is always my own fault for not learning to use it better.