Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Howell wetlands....finishing up last week's photos

Howell wetlands has several different areas of interest.This is the more shallow "marsh" and right now it is mostly covered with these beautiful yellow flowers. The dragonflies love this pond.
I think the flowers are gorgeous, but I do not know their name.

The "lake" is actually called the slough on the map. This heron was sitting on the boardwalk railing when we arrived so we went the other way and left him alone.
Later he was stalking the edge of the lake fishing.
He made a catch!
Hurrying over the edge of the lake with his prize....a pretty good sized fish.
Gulp!
Swallow!
Wash it down! I'm always amazed they can swallow a whole fish in one gulp.

Another area of the wetlands is the creek which is covered in duckweed. Mike spotted this Green Heron and got a couple shots before it took off.
He was on the branches of a huge tree that was uprooted this past year and fell into the water.
There are some lovely Hibiscus growing along the creek and I just love this pink one!

I also like these "arrowheaded" plants. Don't know what they are.
Still a few turtles hanging around on the logs, but nothing like in the spring when they are really warming themselves.

A popular branch in the shade. After you cross the creek, you can walk a boardwalk through the woods, but we didn't go that far on this day.
Back where the heron was fishing, there were a couple of Killdeer on the boardwalk.
Getting ready for take-off!
Between the creek and the two bodies of water is the meadow where I often take photos of flowers, butterflies and bugs. I have also seen a few birds in the deep grasses, but it is hard to see them from the paths.
This wetland is a real treasure for our city and I'm so glad that I found it last year! My blog would be empty without this place!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've always wondered too how birds can swallow HUGE things in one gulp. Like how marine birds swallow fish or wagtails swallow dragonflies. Oh and they always look sooo satisfied after such a meal.

Mary said...

Aluajala: I think I'd need more than one little sip of water afterwards :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

Great photos! I find it so hard to capture a clear shot of these guys, while not scaring them away...

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh I always love your pictures from the wetlands area. That 2nd flower (at least the leaves) looks like it is in the rhododendron family.... Not sure though!

Love the shots of the heron.

Great post, Mary.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

Great wetland pictures! I always enjoy your blog!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is an absolute perfect spot for dragonflies Mary. No wonder they love it. Wow, love the herons!!

George said...

Thanks for taking us back to the wetlands. I, too, am happy you found it. You got great pictures of the heron fishing.

Brenda Kay Ledford said...

I love your photos from the wetlands. The birds and flowers are so beautiful. I really like your blog. I just found it and so glad I visited your lovely postings. Please visit my blog and leave a comment at: http://blueridgepoet.blogspot.com

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, I love that soft pink flower and the Green Heron, they're such photogenic birds! It's great to have a good place just down the road isn't it! (-:

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I too am glad you found this place.These pictures are so interesting.
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

You are so lucky to have these wetlands that you can explore. You always get some great pictures. I love them all!
B.

Mary said...

Thank you one and all....it is a wonderful place to have around. If I can't get anywhere else, there is plenty to see there all the time.

Lindy said...

Another fine tour around the wetlands! Love those 'action' shots of the heron enjoying his catch. Pretty flowers, and look at all those turtles in one spot!

Rose said...

Love those heron shots...that first one is priceless in my opinion. Makes me think of a crotchety old man.