Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Home birds have come back....

Suddenly this week my home feeders have become very active again. I think some are young birds, even though it is hard to tell at times. A young male cardinal molting
The House Wren keeping an eye on the gourd where he is expecting a new family.

A Song Sparrow. There were two and I thought maybe one was a young one.

Mr. Robin
Several Nuthatches were coming and going....

.....this may be a younger one.
I was surprised when an Indigo Bunting showed. Haven't seen any of them since May.

The Goldfinches must remember my volunteer sunflowers and Black-Eyed Susans and are hanging around in a bunch again.
A female. I've never seen a baby Goldfinch as far as I know. Have any of you seen one or have photos??
The young Downy's are back again.....need more of this suet that doesn't easily melt. They seem to like it.
Doves.....wouldn't know a young one from an old one. I've never seen baby doves either.
Cowbird....either female or young. Greedy!
Cute little Chickadee came for a drink for the ant guard.
This one was all fluffed up. Never seen the tail flared out like that!
A gawky looking female Cardinal.
Of course there is also another "brat pack" full of young House sparrows. I didn't take their photos. I get tired of having so many around. I also saw a House Finch or two. Guess I better figure out how to afford more seed for this hungry mob!

15 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Eating you out od house and home again are they? What a pleasure to see them come back every season.

Mary said...

Joan: I do enjoy them...just wish it was less expensive to feed them sunflower seeds!

John Theberge said...

My feeders have been pretty quiet but that'll change as summer comes to a close.

Lindy said...

Nice to see everyone returning. I share your sentiments about the sparrows. There's never a shortage of them (or the doves) it seems!

Do you have a TSC store near you? You 'might' be able to find a deal on your seed there.

Dorothy said...

Looks like you have ots of birds!! Great pictures of them! I just told Jeep at Brunch this morning that it looks like it will be spring before we see any 'new' birds.

George said...

We're getting a lot of action at our feeders as well. We have all your birds except for the Indigo Bunting and the cowbird. We keep trying to get pictures, but the young ones don't always cooperate.

Mike said...

Nice variety Mary, keeping you busy.

Anonymous said...

Wow. nice lot of birds Mary. I like the Nuthatch and the Goldfinch particularly.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Glad your little backyard birds have come back, Mary. Wonder where they went???? Having babies I guess. I have all of the same ones you have. Our male Cardinals are also molting.

We don't have the Indigo Buntings (what pretty birds) nor the Cowbirds. I also have not seen a Song Sparrow.

We have lots of Tufted Titmice --and there are some baby Tufted also. We have a few Carolina Wrens and some other Sparrow (either tree or chipping)... Haven't figured out which one he is.

Our little Chickadees are so pretty also---especially the babies.

Love seeing your backgard birds.
Hugs,
Betsy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a neat look at all your birds. I wish I got the Indigo Bunting here.

I had a new greyish Blue bird coming to the feeder and it turned out to be a Catbird.

Mary said...

John: Maybe these birds are all young ones looking for easy food.

Lindy: Thanks for the suggestion. We do have a TSC on the other side of town. I buy at Rural King sometimes which is similar.

Dorothy: I was surprised when I suddenly had so many showing up that I haven't seen for awhile.

George: I know what you mean! Just as I snap they move and I have no photo :-)

Mike: thanks!

Roy: Thanks....they are both favorites and usually year round here.

Betsy: I think my chickadee and titmice must be the new young ones coming around.

Tom: Hope you got a photo! I like Catbirds. If you get to see the under-tail area, it is dark reddish color! Lovely birds, but they don't visit too often.

CountryDreaming said...

Awwww, these lil birds are all sooo sweet! What an awesome collection of cuteness! Hard to choose a favorite from among all these feathered friends. :-)

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

I guess the word must be out as to where the good food is.:-)
Blessings,Ruth

Becky said...

You know, I was thinking the exact same thing this week. Where did all the birds come from all of a sudden. My feeders have been buzzing. Lots of young, but like you I haven't noticed any baby Doves, or Goldfinches. I have Hairy and Downey babies, and loads of House Finches and Orioles.
Great shots Mary. Love the Indigo Bunting.
B.

Rose said...

I bet the birds really appreciate you!