Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Flying and flapping and honking.....

The birds were pretty cooperative at the wetlands on Monday. I got lucky on this one and it was in focus more or less just as he went by me.
Mike caught the landing with his camera.
I got the last shot as he was lowering his wings.
Standing in all those weeds he really stood out against the green.

He immediately became very intent on something in the water, but I never saw him make a strike before I gave up and moved on.
I love this goose posture! It was interesting to see under the wings. This reminds me of an airplane that I've seen....something fat-bodied and lands on water....don't know the name.
A group on the far side decided to take off and I caught part of it......

....and thought maybe I was going to get to actually catch a goose! I couldn't believe it was still in focus when he got this close to me!

Another group of mixed geese and ducks arrived on the far bank and swam over to see if we had any food. There were a couple of new additions...that black duck and the Mallard female. They seem to have linked up with the 2 light brown manky Mallards we have been seeing and these geese. The older 4 manky ducks stay in a separate group. Would love to know about the relationship of all these ducks.
These 2 started a honking match....or more acurately a hissing match....very little sound.

They got pretty close......
...but then settled for a glaring match instead.

13 comments:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I love the title of this post Mary. You and Mike did very well on capturing that heron bewteen the two of you. Excellents shots.

Katney said...

I have terrible luck photographing the herons. And I just remembered DH was going to show me where he found some pelicans nesting. I hope I can find them today while he is gone.

Mary said...

Joan: Thanks! This was a good week for birds and stuff so far.

Katney: I know what you mean. We go to that rookery and the only shots I get are the ones where they are in the nests. When they fly by, I usually miss them. Hope you find the pelicans.

We are heading out to Olney soon, so I may not get back here until late tonight.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

You got some great in flight shots.These are not that easy to get.The Heron looks impressive.
Blessings,Ruth

Jenny said...

It's great to watch bird behaviour and just how they react to one another. I guess those Canadas were being unfriendly, but maybe that's their way of making eyes at eachother!!! (-:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary---you got some great pictures while at the wetlands. Love that goose one with his wings cocked... I've never seen them in that position before... Gorgeous!!!!

Our blue jays were screaming yesterday --and I finally saw 3 huge crows nearby. Don't know who was mad at whom---but the jays were the ones making all of the noise.
Hugs,
Betsy

Leedra said...

Love the Blue Heron photos against all the green background.

George said...

I'm glad you took us along with you to the wetlands. The pictures you got are absolutely fantastic! You got some great action shots of all that flying, flapping and honking.

Becky said...

Another good photo day Mary. Love the goose shots. Great detail.Good timing on the heron too.
B.

Mary said...

Ruth: They look so lovely while flying...more so then standing, I think.

Jenny: I don't know if they were friendly or angry...actually I think they were siblings. I guess we like to read into their behavior what we want to see :-)

Betsy: Thanks...Blue jays and crows can be very noisy!

Leedra: Thanks! Lucky shot.

George: they certainly were very active that day :-)

Becky:Thanks! Some day are better than others. This week has been a good photo week for the most part.

Rose said...

Wonderful! Both the heron and the geese!

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: Neat show and the goose shot is precious.

Kelly said...

Wow! You got some lovely photos of the herons! Pretty close...