Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Flowers downtown.....

Over the weekend, we went downtown to take photos of a statue for Becky, and while we were there, we found a really pretty flower garden at a park. I had never been to this garden and the flowers were wonderful, as well as attracting butterflies. The Zinnias were my favorites! I loved all the colors and didn't even get shots of the yellow or white ones. The pinks and purples were my favorites. I decided to make this collage rather then a dozen individual photos for a change :-)
All of the flowers were beautiful and there was a nice variety.
An over-view of the main area.

A little bit of this and a little bit of that.
Lots of colors.
These silvery bushes were stunning!
I think this might be a Silvery Crescentspot?
There were Cabbage Whites "dancing" around in the air and flitting from flower to flower. I like this shot, and think it looks like it has a tutu on :-)
Getting one to hold still was tough.
I even got one in the air!

One little skipper.......I never see their wings open.
Several Monarchs were flying around! It was like seeing butterfly ballet between them and the Whites.

This last shot was at home, but I wanted to post this guy and he didn't fit anything else coming up.

19 comments:

Kathy W said...

Great set of pictures. They sure did a great job with the design of those flower beds. The colors are very pretty together. LOL love the pic of the toad.

Mary said...

Kathy: I saw the "Master Gardener" sign stuck in the bed, so I'm not suprised they made them so pretty. They planted tall grasses behind them to separate them from the playground.

Jenn Jilks said...

Great shots! I love the bugs as much as the toads.

Kelly said...

Ohhhhh.....so beautiful. I love zinnias...the birds do too! I liked your "butterfly ballet"--put a beautiful image in my mind.

Kelly said...

p.s. the little toad is cute too! I love stumbling across little toads. Glad you put him in the post.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Zinnias are such old flowers but I do love planting them in the garden. They make such a lovely show. That does look like an ideal place to go looking for butterflies and bugs Mary. That white one is beautiful.

Rose said...

What is that white flower in the photo that says a little bit of this and that? I have never seen it before. Looks like you hit the jackpot with this shoot!

Dorothy said...

What beautiful and colorful pictures of the flowers!!! Neat post!

Mary said...

Jenn: The toad was trying to hide from me, but I wanted his photo :-)

Kelly: Those white wings hanging down and the way they dance in the air just made me think of ballet the whole time.

Joan: Zinnias have such a pleasing shape and the layering of the petals can be so pretty....and so many colors!

Rose: Cleome....I had to go search Denise's blog to find out. She and Eve discussed it in several posts and even though I couldn't remember the name, I knew where to look! See...I really do read what people write in their blogs :-)

Dorothy: it was a wonderful place and there were dozens of butterflies!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow Mary.... You hit a goldmine!!!! What beautiful flowers. I love Zinnias especially since my mother grew them. Great memories!!!!!

Love all of the colors. Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Some great colour combinations in those flower beds Mary. Someone knows their stuff! I love Mr Toad too. I think your Cabbage white is a different to ours. Paler and more pure looking I think.

George said...

You got some gorgeous pictures at that park (the toad is good, too). I'm glad you decided to down there. You did a very good job on your collage.

Mary said...

Betsy: Zinnias seem so varied and full of possibilities for a lot of color.

Jenny: I hope I identified it right. I don't know any other white butterflies. There are always a lot of them fluttering around, but so hard to get them to hold still :-) I hope this Mr. Toad is better behaved then the one in the Wind and the Willows :-)

George: Thanks! I like collages, but seem to have trouble getting the photos where I want them in Picasa.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh the beauty!This place looks so gorgeous.Your pictures are just wonderful.I especially like the White Butterfly in flight.Good shot.
Blessings,Ruth

Leedra said...

Lovely flowers and butterflies.

Leedra’s Photos For Fun

Becky said...

I'd love a garden like this Mary, and then somebody to care for it for me. LOL . Beautiful plavce to walk! Love the butterflies of course. I did see 2 today and will post the pictures on Thurday.
Love the Toad too. They are always happy to pose.
Thanks for the statue pictures. I'm almost done with my presentation, and I'll tell you all about it.
B.

Lindy said...

Your collage is beautiful. Do you ever enlarge your photos and frame them? If not, you should!

I agree, that the Cabbage White does look like it has on a tutu! :D

The toad is very well camouflaged. You were lucky to see it.

Mary said...

Ruth: Thanks! The white butterflies were moving so much, I had to get lucky eventually :-)

Leedra: Thanks!

Becky: If you hadn't sent me looking for that statue, I wouldn't have found this garden, so I should thank you!

Lindy: No, I don't usually print or frame them. I have one of those slide show frames with some of them. I don't have a lot of wall space for photos, because our dome walls slant outward and inward and nothing is straight up and down.

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary: What a beautiful series of shots. What a fun trip.