We had such great success on that road last week, so we went back to see if there was anything new.
I've searched my entire wildflower book, photo by photo and still don't know what this flower is...but I like it!
Now this isn't as pretty, but it was laying in the middle of the road sunning itself right as we got to the gravel road section. Rather lumpy. Mike thinks it is a Black Snake?
....lumpy all the way down....is that normal???
Hey....something larger than a butterfly! An Eastern Phoebe is my guess. There were several flitting back and forth across the road. I imagine with all the bugs and butterflies that there must be lots of good stuff to eat on this road for birds.
My very best photo of that American Snout butterfly. I could stand there all day and never get it with the wings open. It sits like this the whole time.
A little glimpse of the inside of the wings here. I can tell it has orange on it! I kept hoping that I'd find a dead one that had been hit by a car so I could look at it closer. No luck.
A Question Mark.....that is its name! Notice the little white design on the wing that is suppose to look like a "question mark". I always think butterflies look rather "haughty" with their noses stuck in the air. They sure love the gravel road.....minerals?
The inside of the Question Mark.
I believe this is a Hackberry Butterfly. That would fit with the fact that both it and the Snout like Hackberry trees. Must be a lot of them in this forest area.
The side view of it is very pretty, but he was hiding down in the rocks.
Another of those Eastern Tailed Blues, I think......this one was willing to open his wings part way!
The side view of that one.
If this is the Red Spotted Purple Admiral, I can't see the red spots on this one. However, it was very accommodating for a change and laid its wings wide open for me.
Another shot. That makes 5 different kinds in one trip....not bad! I saw a Tiger Swallowtail, but it would not stop and pose, but went on its way.
Mike knew that there was a barbecue place in the area that he wanted to go to for lunch. Chasing butterflies is hungry work! So off to Peak's Barbecue we went.
27 comments:
WOW these are really stunning, bet you are glad you went back.
Now really Mary, only you would go out to take pictures of butterflies and come back with one of a snake. LOL!! Just teasing!! That sure is a wierd looking one though with all those lumps.
WOW!! I really love those butterflies!!
Really fantastic butterfly images Mary. Well done.
Great new header shot as well.
Great trip Mary. Love the ? (hahaha) and the Hackberry. I have them both here and the Hackberry was new for me! Love the lumpy snake!
Well done finding blue butterflies at last Mary! We occasionally get a similar Short-tailed Blue visiting from central Europe, but I've never seen one.
A common butterfly, however, is our Comma (polygonia c-album i.e. white-'C') which has a comma instead of your question mark (polygonia interrogationis ), and similarly ragged wings.
Fascinating to see subtle differences on similar geographically-separated species, isn't it?
Re the snake, had it eaten a family of mice?
Oh, this looks like my kind of road! I love all of the butterfly types. I have NEVER seen an American Snout butterfly before. How Neat!!!
And I Love those beautiful quilts. Sad that they will get smoky and greasy....but they ARE lovely!
What an interesting collage of photos. The butterflies are so pretty. Left me wondering when I last saw one here in the semi-desert? The quilts hanging from the ceiling looks magical. Of course one has to suspend judgement about whether that is the right thing to do beautiful quilts. Made me thinks of castles and how artisans wove wall hanging to make the room warmer and beautiful at the same time.
PS: I like the samke too! :)
ooops - that's 'snake' :-/ Pre-coffee editing errors
8 comments before breakfast...everyone is up early today!
Mike:This road seems to be a goldmine of stuff...too bad it is over in Kentucky. Not real far, but still a lot of gas to use to go very often.
Joan: Well, I figuered a need a bit of variety so you wouldn't get bored.
Roy: Thanks! I'm getting lots of bug and butterfly practice and a few of them actually spread their wings for a change.
Eve: Thanks...they were both new to me and I had to look them up. That road must be loaded with Hackberry trees.
Steve a.k.a Kingsdowner: This was my first blue and I've seen it in two places now. I looked up the Comma and it does seem very similar...the side marking is the same as far as I can tell. Is Comma maybe a general designation like Swallowtail? LOL about the snake...a very large family of mice!
Keri: Weird isn't it? I have to admit this Snout has me fascinated and I really want to see the inside of its wings and look at it up close.
WR: Well, you aren't the first or last to make pre-coffee errors! It is a bit like a castle with its wallhangings. It is just because I'm a quilter that it bothers me. Some of them looked in good shape for being older quilts and usually people are trying to preserve nice old quilts. I think it would bother me less if they had been made specifically to hang on that ceiling and weren't old quilts :-)
Mary: What a lot of butterflies, that was a beautiful collection.
Great post! The snake looks like he has eaten several little creatures.
Beautiful, beautiful butterflies. I love learning about them. The butterfly with the "snout" is very interesting! I love the quilts...especially the old one.
Great pictures, Mary. That last butterfly really caught my eye. What a beauty!!!!!
AND those quilts are gorgeous. Even if the BBQ wasn't that great, the quilts made that stop worthwhile, didn't it????
Hugs,
Betsy
Fantastic Butterfly photos.This stretch of road sounds very interesting.
Blessings,Ruth
Dare I say that snake has constipation!? (-: Sorry! Great set of butterflies Mary, that snout one is an amazing looking thing and the Red spotted Admiral one, when you last took a photo of one the other day weren't the red spots on the underside?
Maybe those quilts are just up temporarily. Certainly eyecatching!
Mary, I don't know the flower...if I remember after Lorelei goes home I will see what I can find.
Love the butterflies...I have never seen some of these. And of course I love those quilts!
I am just sooo jealous of all the cool places you visit! More amazing butterfly pictures.
I do agree with you about the quilts. I'd rather see them on a bed!
B.
Thanks everyone! I've seen more butterflies this year, then I did last year. It's been great!
Great pics! Your snake is a Black Rat Snake. Extremely common here in WV. They are one of the most helpful snakes that you can have around. They eat large quantities of rats & mice, and they have a liking for eating young poisionous snakes like the rattlesnake and copperhead. Some farmers will actually pay for them because they like to have them around in their barns, etc. because they keep down rodent populations so well. The look the snake in the photo has is fairly common to see during this warmer time of year. I've never seen a single one look that way during cooler temps. Personally I think it is related to a small level of dehydration. I've even seen them soak and it go away. And I've seen it happen when they've went too long without a meal. The easiest way to tell them from other black snakes is their pattern. Notice the pattern on the bottom side of the snake in your photos. Also their bodies are more "bread loaf" shaped than round. Although that's a little hard to tell as well when they are so dried out looking. I like photographing them, and I've rarely found one that has become upset with me for doing so.
Debbie: Thank you so much for all the information! Great to know all that about this snake. I'm never sure what any snake is, but find them interesting to take photos of when I see one. You've been very helpful!
You're Welcome Mary! There are lots of things that I don't know the actual names of too, and I just like taking photos too. I love your blog. :)
Such a stunning array of butterflies! I like the Question Mark the best, especially the second photo of him or her. The flying quilts at the barbecue joint are kind of cool ... you might even think of them as flying carpets!
Debbie: Thank you! Do you have a blog? I can't access your profile, so I don't know.
CountryDreaming: I've been amazed by how many different kinds I'm seeing this year. Either I am more observant, or this is a good year. The quilts did look very nice, I just hate to see them used that way....goes against my quilting nature :-)
Mary,
Yes and no. LOL! I started a new one in December and then right afterwards was put on bed rest. So I haven't gotten much done with it yet. I've been thinking of trying to work on it this week as I can't seem to get much else done... been in regular contractions for 6 days now. Basically just killing time, trying to hold off delivery as long as I can. But here's a link if you want to see what little I've got up there. LOL!
http://debbienorman.wordpress.com/
Debbie: Well, now I know how to find you at least! I'd say your blog looks great so far. If you are in the middle of contractions, I'm amazed that you are even looking at blogs let alone writing one! Feel free to email me if you have something to say. I don't always check back to older posts like this and sometimes miss people's comments. I'm glad I went back and found your wren story in an earlier post! I hate missing comments, but I don't like to delay them and approve them either, so I don't know what other options there are. Blogging isn't perfect.
The snake is probably full of little itty-bitty baby mice.
Jill: That gives me the creeps just thinking about it!
Post a Comment