Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Photos from wetlands and arboretum....

I went two places last Thursday....Howell Wetlands and the Hartman Arboretum.  Two of my usual haunts.  I was looking for butterflies mostly, but saw a variety of critters.  The photos are mixed together, so I won't bother saying where each was taken.
 An Amberwing dragonfly on the rocks.
 I saw several black swallowtails on the flowers and think that they were mostly the black female version of the Tiger Swallowtail.  You can see the faint tiger stripes on a couple and also the short squat black body.

A large frog in the duckweed. 


A couple of Blue Dasher males.  The one above had a longer than normal black area on the tail. Maybe an age thing?

  Very tattered black swallowtail.
 A Common Whitetail male dragonfly
Black female Tiger.  The black ones are always female. 
A pair of Eastern Pondhawks mating.  Male on top, female underneath. 
Some of the really tall plants at the arboretum....the Joe Pye was huge. 
 Goldfinches either drinking or eating in the duckweed.

Slaty Skimmer with one torn wing. 
 This may be a Spicebush Swallowtail....not sure.
 Gray Squirrel
Silver Spotted Skipper 
 Tiger Swallowtail with only one tail missing
 Big fat green turtle :-)
Saw two tiny tree frogs but was having trouble getting photos....they were really hiding out in the shade. 

Two Tigers....one badly torn 





Tiny frog in the duckweed. 


 This poor Tiger was missing both hind wings.
 Big turtle again

This is so Rose can count the turtles :-) 

7 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

You got some AMAZING shots! I didn't realize that the black morph of the Tiger Swallowtail was always a female! Thanks for that info!!

LOVE your FAT Green Turtle!!!

Mary said...

These are great shots! Thank you for all the information as well. The butterflies are so pretty.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Great photos today. I especially love seeing all of the Dragonflies... BUT--that Joe Pye is gorgeous....

Loved the butterflies and birdies also... AND--of course, the turtles are special.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

Oh, Mary, this is a fabulous bunch of photos...and yes, I did click to count...there is sure a mess of them!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Beautiful! As I look at these pictures I find myself wanting to be at a place like that.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... Fabulous post!!
Big fat turtle , love those hangover back legs!!
Great shot of the Goldfinches,and so many beautiful butterflies !!
I have seen less butterflies this year then usual!!

Grace

Naquillity said...

what terrific photos... love how that turtle looks to be smiling back at you for taking its picture. hope you're doing well. have a great day~