Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The attractions of Sedum.....

I love when the sedum flowers begin to turn pink because I know they will attract all sorts of interesting butterflies and bees!  They are pretty flowers all by themselves, but when all the critters come, it really gets interesting!
Today was one of the first days for the flowers to bloom and the critters are very plentiful. 
 This first butterfly is new to me.....I think it is some sort of Azure, but would hate to try to name it for sure.

 One of the bees?  There are an assortment of bees, and wasps and "whatevers" that hang around.
You can just see a Gray Hairstreak hiding on the left and a skipper on the right. 
 This is the time each year I see this Gray Hairstreak, so I am glad it likes Sedum flowers.
 I'm not good at identifying the skippers, so I'll just post their photos.  There appeared to be 3-4 different kinds to me, but I'm not sure about males and females either.

 I like when they sit in the "jet fighter plane" position.....so cute.

 You can see in this photo how much the Sedum attracts....2 skippers and one bee on one flower.  Sometimes there are more than that on one flower.
 This shows how much bigger the Silver-spotted Skipper on the left is then all the other little skippers.
 Silver-Spotted from the side.
....and almost open!
  I also had a Monarch caterpillar out there this morning and tried to get a decent shot of it without disturbing it.  It is on some vines and sedum that are in a pot on the front step.
One more skipper shot.
I hope to see more over the next few days.

9 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Set up a chair right beside these flowers and keep that camera going. These are all spectacular shots.

Rose said...

I think I need to get some sedum...what a lot of life is going on there!

Kerri Farley said...

Beautiful captures!!!

Janice K said...

Neat pictures! I have some sedum just starting to bloom. I have never paid that much attention to them, I guess because I can't see them from the inside of the house. I need to be more observant.

Naquillity said...

i so love butterflies... they're such delicate creatures. your sedum bloomed beautifully. hope all is well. have a great day~

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi I am not an expect just learning this year for the first time about butterflies. I think the first one is a Holly Blue. Perhaps you could look that up and see what you think. Loved the other shots a lot of them I have not seen before.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen any sedum so far. Great post Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Caroline Gill said...

What a wonderful set of sedum photos, Mary. A veritable case of 'all things bright and beautiful'! My sedum is still in tight bud, and I just hope it opens before all our butterflies disappear. The nights are growing darker here and autumn is approaching with speed.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... The Sedum surely is a great attraction I also have one, but not no where as busy as past years!!
It seem to be a very bad year for butterfly here!!
The Azure looks lovely on the pink!!
The Skippers I have not seen either!!

Grace

PS no comment on the spider post, even in pictures that give me the creeps!! yuck!!