Friday, August 2, 2013

Walking at the wetlands Part 2......

 There is so much life at the wetlands, that it is hard to fit it all into a post or even two.  I never know what I will see, but I know I will see "something" of interest.
This Sulphur butterfly looked like a yellow flower inside of an orange flower :-
 The creek is covered in duckweed right now and there were teeny tiny frogs sitting on the top or hopping around.  They may look big in these photos, but they are actually about the size of my thumbnail or smaller!
 I thought some of the colors looked different, but have no idea if they are all the same kinds or not.
 We saw at least 8 the first day and I went back yesterday and saw a bunch more.
 This was a larger frog/toad? at the edge of the creek.
There are lots of these pink hibiscus flowers around the water right now.  This one had two little "visitors" inside of it. The big bee did not like that other green one and immediately backed out. 
 They are really lovely to look at.
 Purple flowers in the meadow attract lots of insects and butterflies
Queen Anne's Lace......a rather small one. 
 I only saw one or two of these tall red flowers.......Cardinal Flower....Lobelia
 A female Common Whitetail dragonfly.  I saw lots of the males, which look quite a bit different, but never got a good shot of one.  The male is pale blue and looks like it has "flags" on its wings when it flies.
 We could see some ducks way down the creek in an area I couldn't get very near.  I finally got a half way decent shot of them yesterday that I could crop, and have decided they are immature Wood Ducks!  Wish I could get closer to them.  There were 6-7 of them.  

 An Indigo Bunting way up in the same tree where the heron was the day before.
I think this is a Spicebush Swallowtail. 
 A Silver-Spotted Skipper with its "white elephant" mark.
 Some of the yellow flowers.
Sumac......they look velvety soft in this photo.
 Mike took this Spicebush photo......lift off!  These butterflies move constantly, making it hard to get their photo.
 And what would a wetland walk be without turtles!  Lots and lots of turtles on every submerged log.
 Mike took this one with its leg hanging down.....very lazy looking :-)
This is my "count the turtles" shot for the day.
 (you may have to click to make it larger to count them)
 The duckweed looked lime green around these three.
 Climbing out
 Heads together....gossiping :-)
 A green covered group.  At times they just look like moss covered rocks in the water.

 The thistles are nice this time of year with lots of seeds for the Goldfinches.

This turtle must have been on the bank for quite awhile.......all dried up and muddy.  It was in the same place when I went back yesterday.
***********
I never tire of coming to the wetlands.  So much to see of both flora and fauna.....and turtles :-)

11 comments:

Arija said...

So many wonders and so many different frogs and flowers and birds and turtles, just wonderful!

DeniseinVA said...

This is a marvelous series of nature photos Mary. We see something different every time we go out. It's lovely to be able to capture them in photographs. Have a great weekend :)

Rose said...

I wish your wetlands were close to me...I so enjoy your shots from there. If you get time and don't mind, send me a bigger version of the 'count shot'...I want to be able to see it good!

Remember my strip pits...I go out there and am lucky to see anything at all. It is just strange. It is like almost all wildlife has left.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!

Rose: I knew you would be the one to count the turtles :-) I emailed you a larger version of the shot. Mike took that one. Our strip pits (Blue Grass) is not real lively right now either. I think I go when it is too hot during the day, but that is when there are less fishermen on the lakes.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks like you had a marvelous time at the wetlands... Loved seeing the birds, flowers and all of those turtles... Great group of photos.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

I enjoy those walks with you there,via the blog. So much life and beauty everywhere.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi another post packed of birds butterflies and wild flowers.fantastic.

Janice K said...

I have never seen so many turtles in one spot before...I loved their "poses." However, that first red flower and butterfly you posted was "awesome."

Patrinas Pencil said...

Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing your walk. I loved the turtles too!!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... all your photo's are just wonderful!!
Those duck weed covered turtles are just comical !! : )
The Red Cardinal plant is a garden plant here, had to pay something close to $5.00!! The Hummingbirds love it!!

The real stunner is that first photo!!
It is just gorgeous, what a great sight to have seen that!!
Have a good one
Grace

A Colorful World said...

I am always so fascinated Mary at all the amazing nature photos you get! A bit jealous too I guess! :-) Wonderful shots as always...boy that sulfur butterfly inside the flower is really wonderful!