Saturday, August 17, 2013

This and that from at home.....

Haven't been doing much bird watching this week, but did take a few photos at home.
 The young birds are growing up and I seem to have lots of youngsters hanging around the feeders.
 I think these are younger Cardinals that are just getting their color and crest is growing.  Or maybe this is a molting female above...not sure.
 Don't know what the black bump is on this male's beak.  Odd.
 Chipping Sparrow with a youngster.  It was begging for food, but I was shooting through a window in the house at some distance and didn't get a good shot.
 It kept peeking in and out among the violet leaves hoping to find something to eat.
Young Cardinal and young Sparrow.....both looking like they are thinking, "Where is Mom?  Why isn't she feeding me any more????"
 The Downy's were thankful that I finally got some new suet cakes for them!

 "Yummmmmmm"
 The vines that wander all over my garden, were winding up this little bird post and I thought it looked pretty.
I also had a small shepherd's crook stuck in the ground and the vines wound their way up it :-)
 I had a beautiful Tiger Swallowtail visiting on the flowers by the mailbox and managed to get one shot before it flew away.  I need to get out looking for swallowtails, because they seem to be hanging around now.  
 Goldfinch sitting on the edge of the fountain.
 Big crowd at the suet!  Two Downys and two of the House Sparrow "brats".
I am over-run with the little House Sparrows, as usual.  They breed way too well!  Must be a flock of 30 or more hanging around my feeders and I can't afford to feed that many!  I hate to take the feeders in because I want to help the other young birds.

7 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

You always find things of interest to photograph.I know how you feel about the sparrows.I hadn't put food out for a whale and they disappeared,but filled the feeders the other day and guess who's back? The sparrows.

Nature in the Burbs said...

We stopped with the birdseed for awhile because the grackles took over! Enjoyed your photos.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Oh how my birds love that peanut butter suet... They love it --even the Bluebirds... The Bluebirds go between that suet (they won't touch the other kinds) and their Mealworms... Think they are spoiled? ha ha

Great photos.
Hugs,
Betsy

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Love you tweedy bird shots, especially chipping sparrows love hearing them in the yard!!
Thanks goodness that is one thing I don't very often have is a House Sparrow !!

I have morning glories every where,i have been letting them take over, at least they hide he bad spots !! ; )

Have a great Sunday
Grace

Mary said...

Your photos are amazing. I had to catchup on a couple of your posts. You do such beautiful work.

Rose said...

Beautiful Swallowtail! There is one or two that visit here, but it never stays long enough for me to get a shot of it. Also saw a Comma or a Question Mark yesterday, but gone too quick.

Wonder if the male cardinal had a sunflower see caught on its upper beak??? Looks really strange...would think that it would fall off if that were it.

Did you know that there have been Neotropic Cormorants at the Goose Pond area? We saw them a while back when we were down there...just figured they were a regular cormorant, but there was something in the WTHI news about them being the neotropic cormorants.

I didn't get a picture...was too far with my lense.

Caroline Gill said...

The Tiger Swallowtail is incredibly elegant, Mary. After a poor start, it's been a good year for butterflies in my garden. And I enjoyed seeing the cars in your later post, too!