Thursday, July 4, 2013

Walking at the wetlands in the wet weather.....

During one of our rainy day breaks, we were near the wetlands, so we stopped for a brief walk....which got wet when it started raining again.
There were a handful of Canada Geese in the water taking it easy.
....practicing their ballet moves......
 .....exercising their wings.
2-3 on a far bank in the grass.  This one is on guard for the other two.

 I liked the clouds reflecting in the water.
 The little maple trees looks so pretty with their new reddish leaves.
A Mockingbird letting us know that this is "his" territory! 
 Don't know what this plant is, but I liked how it looked.
 New purple leaves on this little tree.
 A Red-winged Blackbird on the observation area railing.
 A Robin up high as we were leaving.
 Mr. Blackbird again.
 A bee on the teasel.
And of course a few turtle shots, although not many were out on the logs. 
 All dressed up in their green duckweed.

I thought this one was a rock at first :-)
 A female dragonfly.....Pondhawk, I believe.
 The Blue Dasher male.
 Tall flowers against the sky and clouds.
 This Fritillary butterfly wanted to lay out nicely for me, but it was on the railing and I'm a bit on the short side, so the angle is odd.
Fungi in the water.
An Amberwing dragonfly on our own pond. 
 And another Blue Dasher, as well.
 This pair of Damselflies was mating and I was having a hard time getting focused on them with the new camera.  I can't seem to get the close-up stuff figured out, so this is good practice. No idea of their name.
 Our double orange lilies along the back of the garage.  I just love these particular lilies and they have so many buds and flowers before they are done.
Had a bit of sunshine yesterday, but still having some rain almost every day.  A really wet year so far! 

10 comments:

Richard Lawry said...

Beautiful photos. I love the red-winged blackbird.
An Arkies Musings

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Your post is a lovely selection of shots. I enjoyed it. Margaret

Ruth Hiebert said...

A most beautiful post. I love the clouds reflected in the water.That is probably my favourite shot today. Have a wonderful day.

Kerri Farley said...

Lovely images. It has rained all week here!

Jenny said...

I love the relection of the geese as well as the clouds Mary. Lovely pics of the dragons and damsels. I'm loving your new camera! (-:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks like a good 'rainy day' walk, Mary. We've had so much rain here too.

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July... God Bless America.

We had rain all day --but we still enjoyed our BBQ and watermelon!!!!!

Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

Wow, Mary, you got a bunch of great photos...I love the one of the butterfly...I think it is beautiful. and always love the dragonflies...

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Hope your rain has stopped!!
I love those duck weed covered turtles they make me chuckle : )
Some nice shot's of the dragons to, haven't seen to many yet, but I have been so busy grrr!!

When I saw your geese, suddenly a nursery rhyme came to me , don't ask how my brain works !!

Goosey Goosey Gander
Whiter shall I wonder
Up stairs down stairs
And in my ladies chamber

There I met an old man
who wouldn't say his prayer's
So I took him by the left leg
And through him down the stair's

The stairs went crack
He nearly broke his back
and all the little duck's
went quack, quack, quack!!

Hahahaha!!
Do you remember this!!
Grace

Mary said...

Yes, Grace, I remember that. Nursery rhymes were very strange when you look at them as an adult!

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Kathie Brown said...

Mary, it rain most every day of my visit to CT too and now I have come back to the monsoon! still, I love the monsoon and at least it doesn't rain every day or all day long! I hate those wet summers when the sun never shines!