Sunday, July 14, 2013

Indigo Buntings and sunflowers at Blue Grass.....

We drove to Blue Grass yesterday to see what birds might be hanging around.  It turned out to be an Indigo Bunting day.  We saw several as we drove around the various strip pit lakes.
 This one was on top of a little tree and sat very still for his portrait.
 We were amazed at all the fields of sunflowers we found.  I knew they planted some there, but it seemed like more then usual.  We started searching the sunflowers for Goldfinches, but again, we found some Indigo Buntings...who also like the seeds.
 This field all had their backs turned to us :-)  I thought that sunflowers were suppose to "track the sun", but they were all facing east and the sun was in the west.
 I loved the nice blue sky, white clouds and lots of yellow sunflowers!
 On one gravel road we could get around on the side where the flowers were facing us better.
Blue on yellow....a very lovely mixture.
 Another one in a tree...but I liked how it looked.
.....and singing his little heart out!
We hope to go back in a few days when the sunflowers may be riper and the birds more plentiful.  We did see Goldfinches, but most were on the ground in the gravel....will post them next...and not on the sunflowers.  The thistle is ripe now, also, so they may prefer the thistle seeds until the sunflowers are riper.

10 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, You hit the jackpot... Seeing all of the sunflowers AND Indigo Buntings all in the same area was fantastic... Great set of photos. I'm jealous.
Hugs,
Betsy

DeniseinVA said...

You got some great shots of the Indigo Bunting Mary. And those sunflowers were beautiful too. Have a great week :)

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Mary What a wonderful surprise to find a field of sunflowers and the blue bird and get that he sat for his portrait. Margaret

Rose said...

Wow, Mary, these are wonderful shots...love them each and every one. the 4th down reminds me of our strip pits...

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Well you probably remember that I am jealous of the Bunting that I don't get to see, and now you have one perched on a beautiful
sunflower ; ) lol!!
Great shots Mary especially like that last one!!
I have always been amazed of the turning heads of the sunflowers!!
Grace

Janice K said...

Wow! Sunflowers with that brilliant blue bird...How lucky can you get!

Pearl said...

We don't have indigo buntings in Minnesota, not that I know of, but what a beautiful little bird!

Pearl

Kerri Farley said...

Oh how AWESOME!!!

Dorothy said...

The Indigo Bunting is a bird I get excited about when I see one passing through. So pretty and I love the pictures of him on the Sunflowers!

A Colorful World said...

Just stunning! I love all that bright yellow and the rich blue of the indigo bunting together. Wow! What a perfect day for you there!