We never know for sure what we will see at Blue Grass, but there is always some bird activity of one kind or another. Besides the Indigo Buntings and sunflowers, here are a few more things we enjoyed that day.
I never tire of seeing the Dickcissel sitting high and singing. I hear them everywhere I go in the country right now along the gravel roads and high up on the wires.
"How many male Goldfinches does it take......."
Right by the sunflower patch where we saw the Indigo Buntings, we saw a group of Goldfinches who had found a puddle along the edge of the road and were bathing. Here we have 3 males watching/guarding/stalking this female:-)
Two of the males in the road
A killdeer along the road....probably had a mate and nest somewhere nearby.
Red-winged Blackbird along the roadside.
Way at the end of the road were two bunnies out in the gravel.
Some Robins that had been bathing in a puddle and were all wet and fluffed up.
And a tree full of Tree Swallows.
They had a great location....this is right at the edge of one of the lakes and they would swoop out over the lake for bugs and them come back to the tree.
A good time was being had by all.....including us!
I plan to go back soon. This was a Saturday and there were fishermen out on the lakes and in every parking lot along the edges of the lakes, so we will go early in the middle of the week next time and hope for fewer humans and even more birds.
9 comments:
WOW ....quite a gathering in those last shots :)
Wonderful shots of the birds. I love seeing them.Thank you for sharing. I saw a baby purple finch this morning, but could not get a picture through the screen. He was at one of my feeders. So pretty.
I love the swallows in the tree...I would love to know why birds are always attracted to the same spot like that.
I always love your Goldfinches, Mary. They are so bright! Ours are beautiful, too, but yours are dazzling!
Oh what a great place to be! I love seeing birds bathe and that tree full of Tree Swallows is quite nice.
Great pictures, Mary! Love those Goldfinch!
Wonderful shots, Mary! I am always amazed at the variety of birds you always see!
I am always jealous of those who get to see the goldfinch in his summer plumage. They are here all winter, but leave before their plumage turns yellow.
An Arkie's Musings
YES---we like to check out special places when there aren't so many people around also. Love your photo of the Dickcissel singing... The Killdeer is a beautiful bird. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment