I went to Mouteau Park hoping to see birds and butterflies, but mostly just ended up stalking the different dragonflies they have there. I saw 4 different kinds....sometimes all 4 sitting together on the same tall twigs along the water's edge. Someone either cut most of the tall stuff, or it died and there aren't very many tall places for them to perch.
I can always find Blue Dasher males at any pond this time of year.
This Halloween Pennant male is one that I always find at this park each year, but very few other places I go. I've only seen the female once or twice....she is not as orange....more yellow.
I like all the different angles and views. Each view seems to show some detail better.
From the back with the wings up and different light.
This is the Slaty Skimmer male. Bigger then the other two dragonflies and very evenly colored slate blue.
This view shows his color the best.
One of my favorites and easy to spot with the black and white on the wings.....the Widow Skimmer male.
Have no idea what this bee/wasp is, but like its color.
I still cannot figure out how to get the close-up setting on this camera to turn on....the little flower icon. I spent a lot of time trying to take some photos of small butterflies and dragonflies against grass and never could get them to focus. Don't know what I am doing wrong, but hope I figure it out eventually! Even have read the manual without help....sigh.
My only bird shot....a Goldfinch that was enjoying all the seeds on the thistles.
One moth down in the grass at my feet.
8 comments:
Great pictures of the 'dragons', Mary... I'm gonna call you the Dragon Queen... Your photos are GREAT. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy
A really good collection of Dragons Mary, great shots.
Beautiful photographs, fantastic observation:) Greetings
Their wings are so delicate..and beautiful!
I love the slate colored dragonfly...actually love them all. Have not taken a single photo of one this year. You really have a nice variety right here.
Wonderful pictures! I like the Dragonflies. They are fun to photograph. The view from the side looks like a little monkey with wings:)
Nice to see the abundance of nature in your neck of the world! I know nothing about dragon flies but I do like to see them!
Really wonderful dragonfly shots, Mary! Seeing the different kinds is fun, plus I love the depth of color on the Halloween one!
Post a Comment