........they just all seem to go together this time of year! Lots of yellow out there.
I watched this female Goldfinch eating the sunflower seeds out of this head for probably an hour. She ought to be the world's fattest Goldfinch! She just kept systematically working her way around the edge of the sunflower.
She was so pretty and I was enjoying taking photos of her.
I know I post way too many photos....but I enjoy the different angles and backgrounds.
The neighbor's red brick house was giving an interesting background color to the scene.
A bit of wing flutter for balance.
"hmmmmm.....which seed do I want next?"
The male decided he should get to have some seeds, too.
The same sunflower head, but the background is dark and green now. I think these were standing up and the others I was sitting down :-)
"You did put this here just for me, didn't you???"
Look how orderly she removes the seeds.
"Greedy little pig.....would be nice if she would share some more with me."
Her yellow color is sort of olive, but brighter then in the winter time.
All around this pole, I have Black-eyed Susan's growing and today there were actually butterflies out there on them! This American Lady butterfly stopped by briefly.
A spot of orange in a sea of yellow.
And a Tiger Swallowtail stopped by to check out the sunflowers.
A bit tattered....but still pretty.
There must have been two different ones, because this one has perfect wings and more blue (indicating it is a female).
11 comments:
A wonderful series of photos of your Goldfinch Mary, she was having quite a feast wasn't she? Your other photos of the butterflies were great too. Thank you and have a great week!
Hi Mary Yellow is a bright colour and always brightens life up so it was great to see this post and the wonderful Goldfinches and sunflowers. That was a fantastic banquet for them. Butterflies were great also. Hoe you are having a great weekend.
Sunflowers = Nature's Birdfeeders :)
We have had very few butterflies this year .... very WET here. Last weekend was the best weekend so far for them - I hope I see more soon!
Beautiful coloured bird shots Mary and you have taken some great butterfly shots as well, the Swallowtail is amazing.
Goldfinch and Sunflowers--a great combination!
Hi Mary... Gorgeous golden post!!
So sweet the Goldfinches are on the Sunflower heads!!
Great ones of the butterflies to love to see them!!
Ben so hot it is hard for me to get out and get some!!
Grace
Beautiful series of pictures. Goldfinches are such a splash of color wherever they are.
I figure you can never shoot too many pictures of a good thing. It was neat that she stayed so long for you to be able to get the pictures. They are so good. Love the butterfly too.
Great job.
Love your Goldfinches, Mary. We have lots of them at our feeders now. I even bought a new finch feeder for them this weekend. BUT--so far, they haven't found the new feeder... Hopefully, they will soon!!!!!
Great butterflies also. AND--I love sunflowers... Great post today.
Hugs,
Betsy
I LOVE those black-eyed susan shots...I need to get some cause I really, really love them. Along the highway to meet Sarah, there are all kinds of coneflowers and black-eyed susangs...sometimes mixed together and it is really beautiful.
Also beautiful photos!
Post a Comment