Monday, November 28, 2011

Signs of winter's approach......

I'm beginning to see a bit more feeder activity with the temperatures beginning to drop.
This very "fat" Cardinal is all puffed up to keep warm.  Gives him a rather strange shape from their usual sleek look.
Two winter visitors making their apprearance near the feeders....the White Throated Sparrow and the Towhee.  They may be around all year, but I usually only see them kicking through the leaves at the end of the driveway when winter is making itself known.  They blend so well, it is hard to get a good photo. 
My feeders aren't going to provide very pretty photos this year. 
When the dead dogwood finally fell down, I put together two shepherd's hooks and a chunk of tree limb to take their place until we plant a new tree next spring.  I was hoping it might make the downys feel more at home when they land to find some suet.  This one says, "It works for me!".....but it makes for a very "busy" shot.

9 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Real beauties the Cardinals and this one does look a little cold..
I have never seen a Towhee ,but they are seen here!!
Your photos will be pretty..the birds will see to that!! : }

Grace

Dorothy said...

Hi Mary, That Sparrow and Towhee are almost invisible in the leaves! We were blessed with a warm and sunny Thanksgiving, but I think Ole Man Winter is on the way now. Take care! ♥ ♥ ♥

Ruth Hiebert said...

It's a good thing that the birds don't care what a feeder looks like. I almost didn't see the sparrow in that picture.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi There, We are home from our trip. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

I wish we had Towhee's here... They may be --but I've never seen one. I have seen a few Junco's around lately.

Hugs,
Bets

Judy said...

Haven't been here in a couple of weeks, so I had a lot of catching up to do!! You certainly have a lot of birds, and can identify them, too! That always impresses me! Poor cold cardinal! The photo I really like is the snow geese in the sidebar!! I would love to see that many!!!

Mary said...

Grace: Towhees can be very hard to see, but they hang out in the leaves near the feeders. They feed on the ground like the Cardinals and sparrows and Juncos.

Dorothy:I'm sure you are warmer than we are! It's getting cold here and so much rain already :-(

Ruth: I didn't see the sparrow when I started to take the photo. The Towhee's color stood out just enough for me to spot him and aim.

Betsy: Look in the fallen leaves or where the other ground birds are and you might find a Towhee.

Judy: Glad you came by! I'm looking forward to going over and see if the snow geese are arriving yet, but it is so rainy right now. It's pretty amazing when they swarm in the air.

Don Wood said...

The Cardinal looks cold, I just ordered some mealworms so I hope I can get some birds to photograph cos at the moment I am seeing very little on my feeders. XXX Don

Rose said...

Even though I love the snow for photos, I dread the cold that comes with it.

A Colorful World said...

Oh, what wonderful snow shots! The first I have seen that were taken by anyone this year, and it looks so beautiful, soft and cold!!! I know what you mean about it not boding well for the next few months. I think it's going to be a cold winter overall. Loved the birds! Hope they get enough to eat.