Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Wilson's Snipe.....

We went to Henderson Slough today and I was thrilled to find some shore birds in a flooded field.  My favorites are the Wilson's Snipe.  This is only the second time I have ever seen them.  We saw them last year about the same time on the other side of the road, but the same area.  (NOTE: I was wrong...we saw them in the spring when we saw them before) They are migrants for this area.
There were maybe a dozen of them....hard to count them because they blend so well with their surroundings and there were some Killdeer and Sandpipers there as well.
That long bill and those stripes on the back are very obvious ways to recognize them.
These three were fairly close to the road and I took several hundred photos (maybe a digital camera is not a good thing for someone like me.....I don't know when to stop!  Mike had to drag me away.)
We watched them dig in the shallow water.
Probably my best side view.
I always post too many photos of birds that I don't see often.
(OK....I admit that I post too many photos of every bird :-)
A view of the back stripes.
Nice day for reflections.

I included this just because he had his foot up.....yellow legs and feet.
The tail feathers have a little rust colored area on them.
Turned around.....the sky was sort of overcast, which I think helped my photos.

"Is she done yet????"
More of a head on shot.
The wind was ruffling the tail feathers :-)
This one sat in the grass for awhile resting.......sure blends in!
More ruffled tail feathers.
OK......I promise....no more :-)
Next post will be the other birds we saw.

13 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love the Wilson's Snipes... Such pretty birds ---and you got some great photos of them.... WOW--how neat!!!
Hugs,
Betsy

Roy said...

These are great Mary, Snipe are notoriously difficult to get close to at any time.

wildaboutwales said...

You caught some great shots how did you manage to get so close, snipes are noted for being shy birds , well done.

Mary said...

Betsy: Thanks! They are neat little birds.

Roy: Thanks....I was sitting in a car at the side of the road and using the extender lens for some of the photos.

Wild About Wales: They were not as shy as I would have expected. We sat in the car and I just leaned out the window. The water came close to the road and there were 2-3 that didn't seem to mind us being there. I didn't try to get out of the car.

Kelly said...

...you can never post too many photos of this bird. I have tried to photograph these over the years, but I usually on get the tail feathers as they burst away after having been flushed! Great photos!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You have great pictures of the Snipe.They do blend in so well,but I really like the pictures with reflections.

Jenn Jilks said...

Post away! It is wonderful seeing nature on my laptop. Your birds are lovely critters and I'm so glad you snapped madly and happily! That's the beauty of digital!
Cheers from Cottage Country!

George said...

These are wonderful pictures of the Wilson's Snipes. I haven't seen this bird in person, so I really appreciate your photos.

Janice K said...

I don't blame you for posting a bunch of something most of us will never see. Great pictures! It must have been a really fun day.

Rose said...

Mary,these are wonderful!!! You sure got some good shots.

Becky said...

Excellant shots Mary! These sure are cute little birds.
B.

A Colorful World said...

So many people have never seen this bird, and it is wonderful that you were able to get (and share) so many photos of it! My sister had one in her yard once and took some photos, and she doesn't even live close to the water, so I'm not sure if he was lost, or what, but it was a thrill seeing her shots of him. I have a little carved wooden snipe bird figure that I love.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! I only seem to see these when they migrate, but am glad that I managed to catch a bunch of them. They really are pretty and so interesting to watch.