I've been wanting to try the new Friday's Fences meme. Click on the name to see more fences!
So, while we were up on Hemlock Cliffs I remembered to take a photo of a fence! This was where we began our fall foliage adventure on Tuesday and where we walked for a mile on a trail in search of photos.
A tree covered in fungi. I thought they looked like pebbles piled on the tree :-)
We went to two lakes....Lake Celine and Indian Lake. I believe this is Celine.
The shore line.
Canada geese on the far side.
Another fence :-) .....sort of.
A very small island.
This is the old Rickenbaugh House that later became the post office in the area.
Steps leading to the Rickenbaugh Cemetery.
We drove up to Buzzard's Roost....but didn't see any buzzards at that point. However, the view down at the Ohio River was very nice!
On the way back down we did find some "buzzards"....Turkey Vultures.... sitting in the trees.
A nice pair gazing at the river.
Hiding from me.
Later we saw a bunch more in the middle of a field. Two were spreading their wings.
A few more had found a dead deer at the side of the road. They were not happy about us stopping to take photos!
10 Civil War graves. See story on the sign below.
The sign
And lucky for me, Mike spotted this very hard to see quilt square on a house!
Totally unexpected find, but I am always happy to see and photograph them.
I may have a few more photos of this trip, but am wanting to get back to bird photos.....if the birds cooperate! I do have a few to post.
18 comments:
A great series of shots, and a lovely place to visit.
Such interesting varied sights on your walk! Love the eagle on the pole and the huge array of Autumn leaves!
love all the pictures and the winding fence has so much characer
Great shots I love your walk. B
Thanks for the lovely tour. Great photos. Thanks for playing FF
a great series of photos. thanks for joining up on Friday's Fences too! :)
I love all your birds. I checked out all your posts. I'm most jealous of the Carolina Wren. I've been looking for one, but haven't found one in this area yet. Nice fence shot, too!
Mary, I enjoyed all of your pictures! Don't you just love getting out and exploring in the Fall!!!
Oh how I love a split-rail fence! (Had one at a previous home.)
Looks like you had a gorgeous day for your travels and walk. Great buzzard captures!
To answer your question - we were in AZ a few weeks ago and are back in Hoosier land again.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my fence image. Hope you and Mike have a great weekend. =)
Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures. I think of you regularly as I use my special bag which you made.I now carry my Bible Study books in it.
You had quite the expedition! I sometimes wonder what it would be like to live on an island a little larger than that one! I have never seen that many buzzards all in one place, and I have never seen them on the ground...
This week must have been the time to get out and take photos of fall. I enjoyed going on your fall photo shoot. One of the most popular posts I ever wrote was about the barn quilts in eastern Kentucky--a project of the KY Art's Council. It gets hits almost every day from all over. Is that one of your particular subjects?
I don't know where to begin...I love your fence shot first off, but I sure enjoyed the others.
I don't know why I don't get serious and have Roger make me a quilt square...it could go on the old garage, or even on the south side of the house.
Great group of photos, Mary... Looks like a neat place to visit... Love the fence in the top photo--but I like that entire area.. Even the Turkey Buzzards looked like they were enjoying themselves eating anything and everything they could find.... ha
Hugs,
Betsy
You are just too lucky to have your husband spot the quilt on the side of the structure. I am still waiting to see one. In fact, we were our cruising the back roads today and I did not see a single one. You did a great job coming up with your fences....3 is I counted right. You were johnny on the spot with this one. I enjoyed my first visit to your blog. Hope to see you soon. genie
Thank you everyone! Most of you I have commented on your blogs...thanks for visiting me!
Ruth: Glad you are enjoying the bag :-)
Rose:Do it! I want to put one on our house, too, but no one would see it.
Besty: Glad you are well again, will get to your blog soon :-)
Judy:I've seen large groups of vultures many times on the ground or roosting on some place high near water. They seem to like to settle near water in the late afternoon....on water towers, trees, the ground, whatever!
More great collections Mary. You live in such an interesting area. That Civil war sign caught my eye. My great grandfather's BIL was killed on a boat that exploded on the Mississippi river around that same time. He was a Civil war soldier that was down south looking for work after he was discharged.
B.
Absolutely wonderful photos! I love the variety of things you were finding on your drive, ending with the quilt square! You have a great artistic eye, Mary!
Post a Comment