Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wrenovations........

We seem to have a lot of "wrenovations" going on at our house at the moment.  I have seen House Wrens going in and out of two of the gourds.  This gourd is hanging right outside a window upstairs so I have gotten better photos of it than any other.
"Bring more soft stuff!"
At first I thought it was just one House Wren stuffing the gourd with sticks to keep other birds out, but today I saw two of them going in and out.
"Is there room for me in there?"
This one made me laugh!  Side-stuffed wren. 
"Honey......I have the strangest feeling that someone is watching us."
"Maybe if I get real quiet she will go away."

Then two days ago I saw a pair of Carolina Wrens carrying leaves and grass into the garage.  Why do they always pick the garage??  They choose the worst possible places.  I thought maybe they hadn't made up their minds yet, because they also keep putting grass in the newspaper box....on top of the paper each morning.
A bit of grass for the nest.
......pine needles.....
"Oops....she spotted us.....I'll hide over here until she goes away."
"How about this big leaf?"
This is the location they have selected......on top of the brush for washing the car, behind a cabinet right inside the door of the garage.    
OK, Mike.....I'll buy you another brush if you let them stay!

13 comments:

Angie said...

These are adorable! :)

Dorothy said...

They are so cute and they DO like garages. They know they will be out of the weather, I think. One built in a wall hanging planter in my garage a few years ago. I didn't even know they were there until the babies hatched!

Arija said...

How can anyone NOT let these cuties stay? just plain adorable!

abb said...

This is a lovely picture story!

DorkyDeb said...

So cute! I once read that wrens make several "decoy" nests or partial nests, to fool predators that might be watching them build. I thought that was neat. I also thought that explained the one that kept carrying random sticks under the wheel well of my vehicle last year but never made a nest. LOL! :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

All this Wren activity should prove to be interesting.

grammie g said...

HI Mary...pretty darn cute post...what a funny bird they are...and I thought I had a hard time making up my mind!!
Like the wide load shot...
Be a sport Mike!!

Janice K said...

I loved your wren stories and pictures. They can be so determined, especially those Carolina Wrens. They have made nests in some of my flower pots by our garage and on our deck the last couple of years. Unfortunately, they did not take into consideration that the racoons could find thier nests. They work so hard....So precious!

tiptoethruphylsgarden.blogspot.com said...

I had the same thing here,only they built in the gourd,then changed their mind & left it & had babies in the bluebird house that`s on a pole nearby.phyllis

Becky said...

What a cute post. I love your explanations. I have a house Wren family in a very small gourd in the front yard, and the male sings so loudly all day!
B.

Mary said...

Thanks everyone! Wrens are a lot of fun to watch. I still am not sure where any of them are nesting...I guess that is the point for all of their activity :-) They do sing very loudly, but I enjoy hearing the House Wren's singing voice.

Don Wood said...

hi Mary nice story line and great pictures. XXX Don

Rose said...

I just could never knowingly destroy a wren's nest...I am glad you are going to let it stay.

I was cutting down some trees at the orchard...a couple or three old apple trees that didn't produce very much and was more in the way than anything. I got one down and started to do the second one only to discover it had a wren's nest...thankfully my bosses liked birds as much as me--we left the tree alone till the wrens were gone.

Another time they built right over the apple washer...and hatched and left just in time for apple season to begin. I actually got to hold one....they were learning to fly right around there where they would get killed/run over...so John moved one or two...I caught one, and I think one went out back on its on.