Saturday, November 6, 2010

The winter ground feeding birds part 3....

These are the last of my ground feeders...the Towhee, the Wren and the Junco.The Towhee is shy and doesn't venture very far out of the bushes most of the time.
I find Towhees hard to photograph. When they do come out in the open, they are always "chicken scratching" and moving. This is a male. The female is lighter in color.

You can see that they hang around with the sparrows and Cardinals.

The Carolina Wren is not just a ground feeder...it comes to all my feeders as well....but it does love to dig among the leaves and flowers looking for bugs and seeds.

Juncos....also called Snowbirds.....show up mostly in the winter here. They travel in groups and I have about 10 hanging around right now.

The male is very dark....black on top.
This one seems rather fat and well fed :-)
The female is lighter grey. All have a pink bill which doesn't show well in photos.

A view of the female from above.....shows her brownish grey feathers.
OK....that is my ground feeding crew who keep the driveway and yard cleaned up most of the winter....with the help of the skunk and opossum and raccoon at times.

5 comments:

Richard Lawry said...

We have an occasional rufous sided towhee here but I haven't see one this year

An Arkies Musings

Dorothy said...

Mary, you really get some great pictures of your birds! All those you posted today are hard to photograph. That little wren just won't be still!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...The Towhee I have only seen a few times here.. very nice pctures and of the juncos too!
We call them "foul weather bird" here for obvious reasons!!
Have a great weekend!!
PS Hows the knee doing???

George said...

Wrens are the only one of these that we see with any regularity. You got good pictures of all of them.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Dont' know why but we don't seem to have Juncos here... We see them when we go to Mt. Nebo in Arkansas in Feb/March --but not here.... Don't know why...

I haven't seen a Towhee around here either... BUT--I can't see the ground feeders very well from my bedroom window.. I need to look harder and more often...

Hugs,
Betsy