Friday, November 12, 2010

More odds and ends.....

A few more busy critters from my house....
I put up a new suet cage on this shepherd's crook and the Downy was having trouble hanging onto the pole. I am going to get Mike to wrap some black tape on the pole to make it less slippery. When she gets on the suet, she is just fine :-)

A Goldfinch on the rim of the fountain. Those red leaves are my new little Dogwood tree that I hope will eventually replace the dead one that I have covered with a vine. I was happy that it survived our drought of this summer.

A White-Breasted Nuthatch guarding the ash tree and the suet cage that hangs on it.

However, that doesn't stop the Red-Bellied Woodpecker from helping herself to the suet.

Several of the birds really like this large feeder and its tree location. I'm trying to figure out where to put another one.

First Mourning Dove that I have seen since the hawk started hanging around.
This House Sparrow had those odd white feathers in her wing and she is also darker in color than most of them.

"Found a peanut, found a peanut...."

A row of pigeons spotted while sitting at a stop light.
A couple of Pine Siskins showed up the other day.

Three of the feathers I have found in my yard since the hawk showed up. The one on the far left looks very much like the colors of a White-Breasted Nuthatch. The photo doesn't show the colors very well....it is that special grey with black right before the white. I was very upset about that until I saw two of the Nuthatches a few days later. The other two I don't know what they are. Maybe from the hawk, itself.

And then we have the night time visitors. I can count on at least one of my skunks showing up every night shortly after it gets dark. The cats usually alert me to their presence by wanting to go outside and chase them away. Sorry, kitties.......you can't play with the skunks! This is the beautiful almost all white one.

The other night two of them showed up together. A normal black one with white stripes and the white one.
The black one. I'm pretty sure that there is a third one that has less white than this one. I've seen one with just a couple tiny white marks on the head and a bit on the tip of its tail. That one seems to be more "shy" and I haven't gotten a good photo of it. Of course I would prefer that they would go eat somewhere else, just because of the "odor" worry. I sure hope no other cat or dog comes along and upsets them while they are in my yard!

14 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

I've been meaning to make a suet feeder up -- you're making me inspired.

Cicero Sings said...

I knew there was something else -- that "white" skunk really has a lot of white! We don't seem to have any skunks around where we live.

abb said...

Those skunks are adorable!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary..The Pigeons and the wire...now thats something you don't want to stand under!!
I got plopped on the top of my head just once by one of them. Yuck
Your Skunks are cute little critters...its to bad that they have to smell so bad....I see mine is back checking out under the feeders!!

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I always love odds and ends. :) That white skunk is amazing Mary. I have never seen one like it before. It almost looks like you can pick it up and cuddle it. LOL!!

Caroline Gill said...

Mary, I'm bowled over by those Skunk pictures. AMAZING ... and amazingly beautiful.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Haven't seen our skunk family in awhile... They used to come around right after dark... They may still be out there --but I haven't seen them in awhile (which is FINE)....

Carolyn (Brevard, NC) said that she has so many Pine Siskins right now that she had to take in her feeders.... We haven't had any here yet--and hope we don't. I remember it was 2 yrs. ago when we had so many here...

Put one of those sticks in the bottom of your suet container --like you did once before... The woodpeckers love them...

Great pictures... Have a wonderful weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

Cute birds! The Pigeons on the wire are funny! Mary, why don't you trap that white skunk and have it de-odorized and keep it for a pet? If it was tame, de-odorized, shampooed, etc. it would be a nice pet!
I remember those Pine Siskins from two years ago. That was the first year we ever saw them and we were excited until there were so many they became a pest. We didn't see any last year.

Happy weekend!

Mike said...

Great set of pics Mary love the one of all the pigeons on the wire :)

Mary said...

Thank you everyone!

Dorothy: I don't think my 3 cats would approve of me having a skunk for a pet and the neighbors probably wouldn't be thrilled either :-)

Becky said...

Lots more house birds. I love them. I've got the same this year. No more skunks thank you. The past 2 nights it hasn't been bothering us. Lets hope it found a better restaurant!
B.

George said...

I would gladly have some of your birds down here, but you can keep the skunk family!

Leanne said...

Wow a skunk. Do they only smell when attacked. Does the small stay around? Is it really bad .......we don't have anything like them here so I'm really interested.

Rose said...

The skunks sure are cute...but like you I would rather they stayed away with all the cats here.