Friday, November 19, 2010

Red-Breasted Nuthatch.....

The Red-Breasted Nuthatch is smaller than the White-Breasted Nuthatch....4 1/2" vs. 5 3/4".I don't get a lot of opportunities to photograph this adorable bird, so when one showed up this morning, I stood there for a long time shooting lots of photos of empty dishes and "bird gone" shots before he finally decided to pose for a couple of minutes....right below a food dish that I had to try to crop out of the photos.
Such a perky little bird and so fast.

Nuthatches are so much fun to watch on the trees.

Upside down is their favorite position, I believe.

That peanut looks almost too big for him.

Today was a good day for shots of the back of birds....some days are like that.

He did get that peanut off the ground, but I didn't capture it well, unfortunately!

13 comments:

Dorothy said...

Cute little birds, Mary! I had a couple of brown headed Nuthatches a few days ago. They checked out the bluebird house and even went inside to take a look. They also were at the seed feeder but didn't stay around for long. They let me come very close as I was adding more seeds. They are really tiny birds, too!

Ruth Hiebert said...

I really enjoy these little birds.
They visit my feeders regulaily.
Blessings,,Ruth

grammie g said...

Hi Mary..I like there little talking they do. You can always tell when there around!!
Good ones even if you had to take alot of him!!
When they get that seed and look up you know he's ready to "buggy it" gone!!

Kelly said...

...you got wonderful shots of the Red-breasted. Such a cute bird. I saw them last weekend at Winton Woods. I've only had them once in my backyard--would love to have them as regular visitors!!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

How beautiful, Mary. I have never seen one... They are prettier than our usual White-breasted Nuthatches... Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Patience really pays off Mary. You got some fabulous shots there. Nuthatches are just perfect for photograph somehow! (-:

Mary said...

Thanks everyone....I really love the small perky birds like the nuthatches, the titmice, the chickadees and wrens. So clever adn fun to watch! And of course the woodpeckers.

George said...

Thanks for these wonderful pictures of the red-breasted nuthatch. We haven't seen any of those as far as I know.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shots Mary, these Nuthatches certainly like their nuts.

Rose said...

He sure is a cute little fellow!

Eve said...

I don't get to see the Red-breasted Nuthatch very often Mary...he is just special!! Great photos!

Don Wood said...

He looked like he enjoyed is visit.

A Colorful World said...

Really nice shots. We have a pair of house wrens at our new home, and I will share some pics of them soon...I hope they stay around and maybe nest with us in the spring!