Sunday, November 21, 2010

How many House Finches will fit on one feeder?.....

.....apparently at least 5!
I had a small flock of House Finches show up the other day and they were all so pretty and mostly males.
"Is there room for me?????"
"I was here first....go away!"
Of course with this many males, a few squabbles will break out.

A ring of finches

Their color was a nice deep red and they all had clean looking eyes.
House Finches are prone to an eye disease at times.
"Here....do you want this seed?"

"What?????......do you ever turn that camera off??
(Who pays for the seeds you are stuffing your face with?)

"OK....how's this....should I smile?"

A female who didn't mind my camera.

"What do you mean, my table manners are disgusting?"

"I can lean out further than you can!"

"Why did she put those peanuts on top of these great sunflower seeds??"
"I am pretty....oh, so pretty....."

It's all in the attitude.

9 comments:

Dorothy said...

WOw! That's a lot of them eating at one time! I haven't seen them here yet.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

We've got more House Finches this year also, Mary.... Better than those 200 Pine Siskins I had a couple of years ago though... ha

Great pictures ---and I love your captions.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth Hiebert said...

This must have been a treat to have so many male House Finches at one time.Beautiful pictures.
Blessings,Ruth

Vicki Boster said...

Such lovely photos- we love birds too so our interest is shared. Your blog is wonderful- I am in love with these photos. I am so glad that my blog surfing brought me here this Afternoon!

Naquillity said...

oh Mary~ these photos are great. i've missed dropping by so much. i've been sick (anemia). feeling much better now though.

your house finches have such deep red color. incredible. hope all is well. have a great night.

Rose said...

You got some great shots...I just the other day started putting out food.....thinking the cats will stay inside a bit more.

Don Wood said...

Nice to see them all feeding and doing well. XXX Don

Mary said...

Thanks everyone...sorry I've been slow on the comments and responses.

George said...

We don't usually see so many house finches at one time, although we have seen more than usual this fall.