Sunday, November 28, 2010

Downy and Chickadee.....

Two more of my favorite birds that come to the feeders......the Downy Woodpecker and the Chickadee. This photo intrigued me for two reasons: Look how it "stands" on its tail to help balance! And, where is its other foot??? There is another photo further down of the same Downy. I will have to watch for this now that I have noticed it in the photos. This female obviously has both feet.

And loves to sit on the branch and eat the suet.
"Who me? It's good stuff!"

They like to drink from those green ant guard cups and if I hang one near an upright branch, they will sneak up the branch and get a drink.

Here is "one leg" again......is that dark spot a space where the other foot should be? Poor thing. I will have to make sure I have plenty of easy food for it, although it seems to be getting around fine.

Chickadee.......fat and cute :-)

"I think I can reach this if I stretch a bit"

Just posing....briefly.
I'll keep an eye out for that Downy and try to determine if it is definitely a one legged one.

7 comments:

Becky said...

I've put out lots more suet this winter, and I have so many takers. Thoes woodpeckers just make the best subjects for pictures.
B.

Naquillity said...

you certainly have a unique downy visiting your feeder. that's sad he's one legged. but, he does seem to be managing well despite his disability. that chickadee is beautiful. i love that last picture. have a great night.

Ruth Hiebert said...

The tail stand is pretty amazing.Birds are so entertaining.
Blessings,Ruth

Dorothy said...

I NEVER have Downy's, but I do have Chickadees. They are fun to watch but, oh, so fast! I thought maybe the Downy's other leg was just perfectly lined up and hidden by the one we see. I think that dark spot is too far back to be the spot for a missing leg. Just keep watching and maybe you can solve the mystery;-)

George said...

These are wonderful pictures of the Downy and Chickadees. That first picture is marvelous.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Great pictures of the Downy and Chickadee.... Be sure and check out my blog tomorrow. You'll love it...
Hugs,
Betsy

Mary said...

Becky: I was mixing up some homemade stuff today out of peanut butter, grease drippings, corn meal, seeds.

Naquillity: I'm still waiting for the Downy to show up again to see if it really is one-legged or just somehow hiding it.

Ruth: I thought it was pretty cool that it can do that with it's tail.

Dorothy: Well, there are only one set of talons clutching the cage.

George: Thanks!

Betsy: I'll be checking to see what you've got!