Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cold and damp....

We actually got almost an inch of rain yesterday! Doesn't sound like much, but it is the first inch we have had in months.I can tell cold weather is arriving when "Shadow" the mystery cat starts showing up on my doorstep every morning. Don't know it's real name. Don't know who it belongs to. It wants to sleep in my garage and get a free handout of food. I would welcome it to my garage, but not unless the skunks go away for the winter. I don't dare leave the door up at the moment.
My happy little Titmouse eating another peanut.

The Goldfinches can't seem to decide the correct approach for the seeds in this feeder. This is one method.

"I think if I lean over just a little bit more, I can reach one".
This Goldfinch tries this every day for a seed or two.......

.......but finally decides this is easier. Duh!

My female Cardinal
The Chickadee sneaking in very quickly for a seed.

The Carolina Wren gives me so much trouble! It always sticks its head behind something or turns......
.....the other way just when I want a photo! But they are so cute, I forgive him.
I know this is pretty boring....same old birds every day...but I haven't been out any where lately and these are the birds that show up each day at my feeders to keep me entertained.

13 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary ..I never get tired of the antics of these little guys!!
They all have there own ways of getting the job done and sometimes they are pretty darn comical...lol : }

grammie g said...

Mary; I also wanted to say glad you got rain and that Renee also has a mystery cat and it is black and shows up this time of year!!

Strawberry Jam Anne said...

It's always lovely to see your pretty little birds Mary. They are such fascinating little creatures. How sweet though that your mystery cat shows up when the weather turns colder - obviously knows he/she is on to a good thing. A x

Cicero Sings said...

I get the same birds all winter long too ... but I still love them. No Carolina Wrens here.

Mingus wouldn't stand for any mystery cat I'm afraid, Arrr, arrrr, arrr, arrr ... he would go and send that cat packing. Really, he would just like to meet one face to face and sniff them out but they will have none of him because he is just too noisy.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

HI Mary, I posted almost the same birds on my post today... I added a House Finch to my group though this time....AND---I couldn't get a picture of the Tufted Titmouse... TOO QUICK!!!! ha

Glad we don't have a stray cat around... BUT--like you, we still have skunks.. SO--the garage always stays closed.

Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

I never tire of seeing bird pictures, Mary. Yours are always so cute.

DeniseinVA said...

Mystery cat knows doesn't he/she? Lovely photos of the birds. We had rain all day yesterday and last night it came down in torrents, along with thunder and lightning. Pretty windy too.

Rose said...

HI! I am home again for a bit...just have to tell you Sarah is happy at her new home. She has wrens, chickadees, tufted titmice, a nuthatch or two and one or two woodpeckers, and juncos. So far. Oh, and lets not forget crows....and a hawk.

BTW, I would forgive a wren anything! He could have a home anywhere he wanted if he came here.

George said...

We've gotten some of that cooler weather and rain as well. The cooler weather means we have more finches stopping by the feeders and they are fun to watch.

Caroline Gill said...

Mary, I hadn't realised that Skunks would gain priority of access over cats ... but I suppose they use their scent. Are skunks considerably smaller than Shadow? - I've never seen one in real life.

Becky said...

Not boring at all Mary. I like seeing each one of them. Love that little Wren. Even his behind is cute. LOL
B.

Mary said...

Thank you everyone. Sorry I'm not posting much.

Carolyn: Skunks are about the same size as a small cat. And yes, the smell gives them priority if they feel threatened! I don't think that two of my cats would bother them....just curious, but the other one would get herself sprayed for sure! Very hard to get rid of smell once they spray! I've been lucky and never had them spray my house or animals so far.

Leanne said...

No not boring.....I am surprised the cat doesn't worry your birds.