On Sunday Mike put on a "Food Rally" for the local Sports Car Club. This is a rally that the people cook food on their car engines....or anywhere on the car....while following a rally course through the countryside. So earlier in the week, we went out to choose the rally route for them to follow. It was a beautiful day, so I stopped Mike anytime I saw something worth taking a photo of.
With the crops all in, you can see miles across the fields in all directions. I thought this little church was pretty.
A Killdeer out in a field.
Mother sheep with lambs. Isn't this the wrong time of year for lambs??? I thought they were born in the spring.
They were cute and I just wished there wasn't a fence around them.
A dome house. Since we live in a dome, it is always surprising and interesting to see others. I didn't know this one existed somewhere on the north side of town.
Horse by the driveway of an older house.
Saw a pond with ducks, so I had to get out to see if they were anything other than Mallards. They were....Ring-necked ducks!

This is "Dolly" according to that ear tag :-) A very shaggy little calf.
Some goats.
Cows sleeping on the hillside.
A flurry of birds around this barn. The smaller ones seemed to be chasing a couple of larger ones, probably crows.
The birds settled on the wires.
We decided to run the rally course through the beautiful Blue Grass FWA where I often go to take photos. We spotted a Northern Harrier sweeping over the fields, so we decided to take a detour and chase it.
Harriers can really move fast! This one was systematically sweeping a long meadow area along a gravel road, so we raced along the gravel road trying to get ahead of it so I could take some photos. She was so intent on the hunt, that she didn't seem to mind our car racing along side the road.
You can se the tell-tale white rump band that always shows it is a Harrier. That and the fact that the head is always aimed toward the ground.
I've never gotten so many shots of a Harrier before, so this was very exciting watching it.
My closest shot....heavily cropped.
Tilting through the trees.
Zipping low past a sign.
Heading away.
We decided to run the rally course through the beautiful Blue Grass FWA where I often go to take photos. We spotted a Northern Harrier sweeping over the fields, so we decided to take a detour and chase it.
I took two short videos of it hunting, too.
I haven't been able to get one to upload yet....will keep trying. (I've tried 4 times to upload the video....waited a half hour...and it just never finishes loading. Never had this problem before.)
Tomorrow, I will post the cars on the rally and the food they are cooking. Mike said it was all good.....he is always the food judge :-) I didn't go to the rally, but Mike took photos for me.
7 comments:
Fabulous fun! Sounds like a great time prepping, as much as playing!
My hubby drives (doesn't like driving) in order to let me take photos.
Great post.
Hi Mary..I really like the picture of the church!!
What a fun ride with all the farm animals and the bird chase photos!!And ya! whats with the lamb, I thought they where breed for spring lambing??
If the food rally was as successful as your 'photo rally', it was a huge success. I enjoyed your pictures of the hawk, but I also liked the picture of the church across the fields.
This is A COOL post Mary.
Love all the shots, and I've never seen a Harrier.You got great pictures on the run.
I'm curious what can you cook on a car engine? One time many years ago Gary's grandparents strapped some bacon to the car's engine to smuggle it across the border from Canada to the USA. Apparently no one found it, and it wasn't cooked by the time they got home LOL.
B.
PS I thought lambs were born in the spring too.
Looks like you chose a lovely day to tour the countryside looking for "the" right route! With the added bonus of some photo ops for you!!
Great post, Mary, and looks like you all must have had a great "Food Rally"... I have never heard of such a thing..... The route was incredible though... Love the little lambs, Dolly the calf and the herrier..
Hugs,
Betsy
I wish we had been following you on this drive! Love the harrier shots...there are two or three back at the strip pits. But the first year I discovered them there, I counted as high as a dozen in the sky at once...never since. I sometimes think I imagined that now.
Post a Comment