Saturday, June 19, 2010

Rivers and rails part 3: Lone Elk Park....

Flipping through the trusty AAA book, I noticed Lone Elk Park in the same area as the Transportation Museum. This is a 546 acre wildlife management area for elk, deer, bison to roam free. We decided to check it out!It is a "drive through" place and immediately we saw an elk standing by the side of the road to welcome us :-)
An idea of how the grassy areas look.

Deer head peeking up out of the grass.

Another deer nearby.

My favorite pair!.....we saw this mom elk and her spotted baby in the water and stopped to watch them.

Baby having breakfast while mom washes up.

Heading out
"Wait for me, mom....I'm still hungry!"
"Mom...it's getting kind of deep!"

"Don't worry...you can make it."
I have no idea what sticking her tongue out at baby means :-)
"I can't get to the food....lets get out of this deep water!"
"Oh, good...dry land! That was fun!"
"Wait up! Your legs are longer than mine!"
This was later on, but it is probably the same mom and calf.
A group enjoying the shade and water. There are two little ones lying n the grass between the other two.
A big male in the woods....with one bent or broken antler.
The Bison area said to "stay in the car" so these shots aren't real good. I'm sure that Bison thundering across the plains are a much greater sight than a herd snoozing at the side of the road! However, it was still neat to see them "up close".
One of the big ones.
This guy looks majestic even lying down.
There were 4 calves in the group...enjoying their roadside nap.
Look like any young calves!
The only waterfowl we saw were some Canada Geese on the hillside.
A Red-Headed Woodpecker posed while we watched the elk in the water.
I thought this place was nicely done.....the animals were in wild habitat, but still accessible to see as you drove by. We enjoyed it.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tour, I enjoyed it. Great pics, especially liked the first and last ones.

grammie g said...

Cute picture of the baby with Momma Elk!! The head shoots in the deep grass is funny peek a boo!!! Interesting place nice pics!!

Cicero Sings said...

Lovely that you were able to get such nice pictures of the elk.

Judy said...

What wonderful pictures.

Rose said...

I would definitely say that your little get away was worth it! Great shots--I love mama and her baby.

Tony nile life said...

I enjoyed the tour never seen bison only in the movies. will be back blogging when I recover, at least I can catch up on the wildlife in other parts of the world.

Eve said...

You always go to the best places Mary! My husband and Mike would get along great...cars and planes and trains!! Love the babies. Thanks for bringing us along!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Oh, that looks like a fabulous place .I like the idea that the animals are free yet accustomed to people.
Blessings,Ruth

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

'Tis the season for all these little ones and they sure are cute.

It was so wonderful when I got to see my first Bison on a trip there Mary. It is so lucky that they were saved from the brink of extinction.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Wow----I would love seeing that Elk Park, Mary... Seeing that Mama and her baby is just adorable.... Love your captions also!!!!!

Looks like a wonderful place.
Hugs,
Betsy

Kathie Brown said...

Lovely series of shots of the elk. What state was this in?