Sunday, June 6, 2010

"Don't touch my nest".....

Killdeers pick the absolute worst places for their nests. It makes you wonder how they survive! Mike spotted this one right along the edge of the road leading into a local park.....where kids soccer matches were in progress further along the road. Even though she wasn't near the people, they all had to drive right past where her nest is.
Three eggs hidden sort of behind that clump of weeds in the shallow nest among the rocks.

Mom on guard over them.
How hard to be a Killdeer mom!

10 comments:

Dorothy said...

I think Killdeers are such pretty birds! We used to find their nests when we were working in the cotton fields. They are fun to watch!

Jenn Jilks said...

Isn't it the truth? I saw one in our church parking lot. Perhaps they know they'll be protected by the humans from other predators?!

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Good eye to spot this one.It is amazing that so many young are actually raised,considering the difficult circumstances they are in.
Blessings,Ruth

Philip said...

So strange they would nest there and such a pretty Bird too

Jenny said...

It certainly seems to be a tough life for those Killdeer. Lovely shots Mary. By the way, I love your new header too! (-:

grammie g said...

I really miss seeing and hearing them!! We always had them in the fields by the house but it's been a couple of years since I have seen them!!! We had alot of coyottes around for a few years and I wondered if maybe they where to blame!!! These are nice photos---she looks perplexed and is keeping a good eye on you!!!

Mary said...

Hello everyone and thanks! They really are pretty birds, but their nesting habits seem to be "hit and miss". I would love to see the babies. I will have to check some more on this one, but hope she hatches her eggs before the next time they decide to mow in that area of the park.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Love seeing the Kildeer and the Swallows, Mary. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Leedra said...

Killdeer are such pretty birds, but they do seem to be crazy about where they build their nest. Then they get mad at us for walking in that direction. Gets comical sometimes around our yard, and the neighbors.

Becky said...

I just love the antics they go through. You got some fantastic pictures Mary.
B.