Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Seasons begin to change........

I found time to get to the wetlands one day last week, and could begin to see the change in the seasons coming.
 A flock of about 30 Mallard ducks were on the front pond.  They were beginning to get their adult breeding colors.  These two look a lot alike, but notice the bill of one is yellow....a male developing.....and the other is orange...a female.  He already has the dark chest, also even though his head isn't green.
The ones with green heads were in various stages....a little or a lot. 

 Not as many butterflies to be seen, but still a few.  This is the Eastern-tailed Blue.  I don't usually get to see the inside of it..
 The plants are taking on seasonal changes.
 The meadow has mostly yellow flowers and the Goldfinches are enjoying all their favorite seeds.
Goldfinch peeking up over the flowers.  
They blend in so well, they are hard to spot if they don't move. 
A Hackberry Emperor that has see better days. Poor thing could barely manage to fly along the rail. 
 Killdeer
Two of them were leading me along the boardwalk before they finally took off with the loud cry of alarm. 
 Looking down from one of the bridges I see a "lump" in the water......
......closer up shows me it is the Muskrat eating the duckweed again. 
A green decorated nose :-) 
Red-Spotted Purple Admiral. 
 A Sulphur along the path and boardwalk.

 Sumac....very noticeable this time of year.  Our newspaper had an article today telling about using it as a spice in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions.  And how Native Americans made a lemonade-like drink from the fruit.  I didn't know anyone ate it or used it as food!  Have any of you ever eaten something with Sumac in it???  I guess you learn something new every day.
 Of course there were lots of turtles out.  The air was cool and they were all seeking the sun on the logs.
 Big...medium...small.
One log for counting :-) 
 Big and little.
 A nice rear end shot.....with its spotted legs showing.  I love how they balance.

Green covered 
 This one has an interesting jagged edge on its shell.  I'm not sure what kind it is.  I can often tell the Red-eared Sliders and the Painted Turtles (one on the right, I believe), but I think there are other kinds out there, too. 
 This is a Painted Turtle....red along the edges of the shell.
 Red on the head....Red-eared Slider?

They look like they are using the second one for a table :-) 
This wren had just been down in the water, I think, and wouldn't come out from behind that post.
 All sorts of bugs on the many yellow flowers.
Button Bush turning red. 
Crawdad holes in a patch of sunlight in the woods.
**********
I hope to get back to more regular posting soon!  We just moved Mike's parents to an assisted living apartment, and I have our local quilt show coming up this weekend, which will keep me busy from Friday to Sunday.  Too many things going on to get out much and take photos!  Maybe next week!

8 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

The Muskrat with the green on its face is cute.I wonder if he thought it would act like a facial mask.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... What a hoot that Muskrat, but also extremely cute : ))
I love duck weed covered turtles too!!

The Sumac grows here to, but the older folks, (of which I am now) when I was a kid called it Poison Sumac !!
So I always thought it was just that poisonous!! How about that,don't bother to pour me a glass ; )

Nice post, I enjoyed it!!

Grace

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Mary I enjoyed this interesting post.Loved the butterflies and seeing all the birds and animals as well as flowers.

Roy Norris said...

Yes the season is on the change Mary. You notice things like the Mallards looking pretty rough and some of the poor Butterflies. You will soon be shooting some nice geese flocks.

Janice K said...

So many neat pictures, but my favorite was your "green nosed" muskrat.

Have a great "quilting" weekend.

Mary said...

Loved seeing all of your pictures this morning. The only thing showing up in my yard right now are the mourning doves. Lots of power plays going on. The muskrat is so cute. Love all the turtles, too.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, I wondered what had happened to you... I had noticed that you hadn't been to my blog the entire month of Sept... I thought maybe you were on vacation. Glad you are not ill....

Life does get in the way. I am getting ready to take a trip --so won't be blogging after Friday for awhile..

Great set of photos. Our Burning Bush and Sumac are both turning red here. Fall is HERE.. Yeah!!!

Keep in touch --even by email.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

Oh, my goodness! What a lot of turtles....loved seeing it all, but of course the counting log is my favorite!