I haven't been out getting many photos.....we've been busy with some family stuff. But every night I watch the orb weaver spider that has put its web right outside my front door. We call her "Charlotte", of course. I can watch her(?) from the inside through the sidelights on the door, but can't get good photos from there.
This is her web......it is so closely spun! I love watching her work on it. She only comes out at night. During the day the web is empty. Each night she repairs the web.
The first night I watched her she caught a huge grasshopper. What it was doing hopping around in the dark, I don't know, but she got real lucky that night!
Trying to get photos is difficult. She is too close to the house for me to get behind her and get back shots.
These look like they are taken in the day time, but actually I just was using flash to try to get better details.
If you click on the photos you may be able to see the "spinner" where the web comes out.
I think she is just a common brown orb spinner, but I don't really know much about spiders.
Best shot I have of her belly and spinner.
I watched her totally rebuild the web the other night. She places the rings of webbing about 2" apart to begin with and then keeps adding more rings until she has it all filled in. Really interesting! Then she sits right in the middle straddling the hole in the center and can feel whenever something hits the web. The web is attached to one of our porch lights, so I'm never sure if she would like to have the light on....to attract lots of moths and stuff...or off.... so she is hidden.
6 comments:
I have 3 of these hanging out at my house..... you got some GREAT shots!!!
Very interesting post. Such patience she must have. It almost makes you feel guilty about all the times you walk through a web and tear it down without even thinking twice.
Hi Interesting to be able to watch all this from inside your home and then to take photos for us to see. Great.
These spiders are interesting to watch. A couple of years ago, we had one that built it's web just outside the kitchen window. I could photograph it from inside and got some good pictures. It was interesting to watch him quickly wrap his prey in his web material and keep it until he was ready to eat it. The encounter would damage the web but overnight he would repair or rebuild it!
Charlotte spins a great web
An Arkie's Musings
We have one on our front porch, but off at the end near the wisteria vine.
I think it is fascinating to watch a spider build its web...though I never think to go watch it. I have watched others though.
Post a Comment