I got home in time for the blooming of the lilacs....yeah! My ornamental cherry was already past its prime and the yard was covered in violets. Quite a change from the desert of Arizona!
I have two huge lilac bushes. They were really loaded with flowers!
When they first bloom they are this rich color of purple. Later the get paler.
The ornamental cherry tree has these pink blossoms and now the ground is covered in "pink snow".
Some of the violets before Mike mowed a lot of them down. When I mow, I just mow around huge areas :-) I'm not greatly concerned with what my neighbors think about the neatness of my yard.
Between my two lilacs are two Spirea bushes. They don't always bloom at the same time, but this year they are overlapping and I tried to get some photos with both flowers.
The purple and white together are really beautiful. The lilac color has gotten pale now, but they still look pretty. My bushes are huge and need to be cut back, but the one time I cut one of the lilacs back, I have not felt it is as pretty any more. The color has become lighter on that bush.
Unfortunately, the sun is rising behind the bushes and it is hard to get a good photo right now.
Close-up of the spirea.
I love this time of year and am glad that I didn't miss all the blooms!
12 comments:
We used to have all those kinds of bushes when I was growing up on the farm. I have a couple of the lilac bushes that were transplanted from there, but they are so old, they really don't bloom very well. I love their smell.
Your yard must be such a joy to see.
All we need is the fragrance to go with these beautiful Lilac pictures.Of course I love the little Violets as well.
Amazing how things bloom at different times during different years. Love your purple and white... Beautiful!!!
I love to smell Lilac.... Don't have one here.
Hugs,
Betsy
What a long time since I saw 'The Mikado', but I will now be humming away at this little ditty with you, Mary!
What stunning blossom. Our cherry trees are coming out at last ... everything is so late! It will be the longest day next month ...
Magical nature... I like this feeling.
Despite the challenges, you have some wonderful images!!! My lilac buds are about an inch tall now, and I can hardly wait!!!
Lovely! I just noticed the lilacs around here were blooming.
How lovely!
I love those lilacs! My mom had spirea...it is one I don't see often.
I love your flowers Mary, a lovely variety. Hope your week is going well.
What a welcome home that was, with the whole garden bursting into bloom to bring you joy! Is there anything better than lilac time?
Oh, your yard looks like a frosted cake! Reminds me of when we lived in a small historic house and the entire yard in spring was flowering dogwoods and azaleas...just a riot of pink and white! I LOVE lilacs, too....wish I could have one here! :-(
Post a Comment