Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Playing with a new camera....

I got a new camera....a Canon Power Shot SX50 HS.  Doesn't mean my photos will be any better, but my old camera was developing some problems with the focus.
 We took the camera to Mouteau Park where I can always find Kingbirds and Meadowlarks at this time of year and I played around with it.  Had some trouble getting used to the focus, but assume I will get better with time.
 I'm happy with how the photos look on the computer after I take them, but by the time I shrink them down enough to make Blogger allow them, they lose their quality.  I find that so frustrating.  I think one reason I don't post much any more is because I can tell the photos don't look good, so I assume others can tell the same thing.  Why post bad photos?
 Anyway....I do like the camera and am sure I will like it even better when I learn more about it.






 The Meadowlark was posing on this sign, but I was having trouble with the focus, since I am not used to it yet.







 This is something I drive by each day.  They tore down a house in my area and cleared some trees and carved this eagle into one of the stumps.  Don't know if they plan to rebuild the house or what, but it is interesting to drive by and see this.
 A pair of Cowbirds on the drive.
 Goldfinch

And of course a squirrel.

13 comments:

Rose said...

Mary, these look real good on my computer. And I am not just saying that. They look so sharp and clear when enlarged. The ones of the meadowlark are amazing. And the others are just as good, but the meadowlark is amazing to me cause it set still long enough for you to take all of these.

Becky said...

I think you did just fine. I have had my new camera for 2 years, and still have no idea all that it does.

Angie said...

Great photos. :) I just got a new camera too and I'm thrilled with mine. I got a Fujifilm---now I'm trying to figure out how to efficiently(?) compress these puppies so they are uploadable. :) I adore the Kingbirds and have a pair that hangs out at my house in the Summer. I would LOVE to see the Meadowlark. :p

Arija said...

Click on them to enlarge and they are mostly pretty well in focus and some are really sharp. Do you focus manually of use auto-focus? I have to use the auto option as my eyes are no longer too bright. I get a lot of duds as the camera focusses on a twig rather than the bird but I also get an occasional pearl of a shot. We just have to do the best with what we have.
Enjoy your new toy and if they are not brilliantly in focus, help it along on your photo programme.

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great shots. You will love that camera. I have had one like it for a while and it takes wonderful pictures.I try to use the view finder,especially when shooting birds,I find it a little easier that way.

Kelly said...

...these are great shots of the kingbird and meadowlark! :-)

Cicero Sings said...

Always fun to get a new toy and it takes some nice clear shots!

Janice K said...

Getting a new camera is always a learning curve, but I think you got some great pictures. That Meadowlark is a beauty.

Kathie Brown said...

Looks like you are doing just fine with that camera! Love the shots of the meadowlark and kingbird!

Jenny said...

I have to agree with everyone else Mary. These are great shots. I particularly like the last Kingbird shot. Lovely pose! I hope you have fun playing with your new camera. It's a definite improvement on your old one. (-:

A Colorful World said...

Your bird photos are always wonderful! I know how you feel about perfection. Some people always have the most incredible shots, crisp and perfect! I think they also have the most expensive equipment, and the most time to devote to their craft. But, I think people generally understand about a camera's different limitations, and the distortion of quality you get sometimes online as well. Good grief, if they were looking for perfection on MY blog, I'd just have to quit! :-) I don't think you should be so hard on yourself. These are wonderful pictures and I enjoyed them very much!

DeniseinVA said...

A marvelous series of nature photos Mary, a few of your birds I have seen in photos only and look forward to the day I will get to see them first hand. How wonderful that you have a new camera. That's always fun! You got some great shots indeed.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...My goodness am I ever behind on your posts!!
Photos look great with your new camera!!
Love the King Bird it has been a couple of years since I have seen one
Always had one around!!
That Meadowlark is gorgeous, I guess he is not to worried about buried cable : ))
Grace