Thursday, May 16, 2013

Muscatatuck National Wildlife Refuge part 2.....

I don't really have a lot more to post, but do have a few more photos from our trip.
 Not sure what member of the flycatcher/phoebe family this is, but it posed for me :-)
 This Goldfinch pair didn't seem to mind us stopping for a photo either.
 Great Blue Heron
 Our best luck for the day was spotting one of the otters that live in the river there.
 Not the greatest shots, but just fun to watch it swimming around.
 It circled the area for 5-10 minutes and then disappeared into the river bank somewhere.
 Red-winged Blackbird female
 Spotted Sandpiper
 Snake skin we found in the grass.  When I held it up, it is about the same height that I am, so about 5'2".
 Pair of Wood Ducks showed up about the time it began to rain.


 This is Meyer's barn and cabin.  They are on the Muscatatuck property and the original owners must have had a really nice place to live back then, though maybe not so hot for farming.  Surrounded by trees, it is a very peaceful place, and there is a large lake behind the cabin that is the main refuge for the water fowl now.  
I really like visiting this place and wish it was closer to where we live, but it makes a nice little one day vacation.

14 comments:

Rose said...

Oh, wow, more great shots. I have really enjoyed these. Love the barn and the the cabin! This is one place we have not been and talk about going there every now and then. Even headed there one day but got detoured.

Dorothy said...

Love those one day vacations! Great pictures, Mary! Love the otters as well as the birds, barn and old house!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

One day vacations are nice, aren't they? Love the cabin and barn... Reminds me a little of the Smokies!!!!

That was one enormous snake, wasn't it? Yipes...

Loved the sandpaper, the otter and heron. Great set of photos.

Hugs,
Betsy

Kerri Farley said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE those wood ducks!

grammie g said...

HI Mary...I love those old buildings!
Nice Wood Duck , and Goldfinches on the sign corners "Cute"!!!
Oh this is the snake skin it is still and eek!! ; )
Grace

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

great to see the Otters and that Barn looks good enough to stay for a little while of peace and quiet

Janice K said...

That really does look like a fun place to visit. You were able to photograph so many different birds.

Jenny said...

I'm envious of your Otter sighting..... how exciting!

Richard Lawry said...

Looks like an awesome place.
An Arkies Musings

Kathie Brown said...

That old cabin is so picturesque! I love the little Eastern Phoebe at the top and the pair of wood ducks! I cannot believe how long that snake skin is!

BTW, you are currently starring on my blog. I 'm sorry but I do not remember your sister's name!

Carol Mattingly said...

Nice to see someone else posting about
Mustatatuck.

A Colorful World said...

What a truly gorgeous place! And just filled with birds, animals, insects, and snake skins...wow! I amazed at everything you came across on this trip. Would LOVE to visit there myself. great photos of it all!

Caroline Gill said...

What a collection of photos, Mary! The Soft-shelled Turtle has to be my favourite, with its wistful pointed face! Excellent otter sightings, too. I saw my first Dragonfly and damselfly of the season this last w/e ... so summer is coming, albeit in fits and starts! back to cold and grey again today :-(

ZielonaMila said...

Beautiful photos, the nature is wonderful:) Greetings