We drove to Henderson, KY yesterday to check on the geese and ducks and found we were not the only ones out "bird watching".
Right across from the field where the geese were gathering, this Bald Eagle was doing his own observing.
Maybe hoping for a wounded goose to attack? I would think a full size healthy one would be a challenge. Mike took these because it was on his side of the road. But it did pose nicely for us!
Another " bird watcher".......we saw at least 4 hawks. This nice Red-tailed was my best photo.
This one shot through the windshield isn't such a good shot, but at least it didn't fly away :-) I really try not to disturb the birds too much while taking photos. I realize that the daily hunt for food is serious business for them.
Out in the flooded field there were a mixture of ducks....but pretty far away. Some of the water is frozen and some not. Here we have a pair of Mallards on the left, a Gull and some Shovelers on the right. I think that one that is third from the left might be a Green-winged Teal, but not sure.
A lot of the Snow Geese are still there, but they chose a field with lots of trees and brush between me and them. Hard to get photos and lots of annoying branches in the way.
Another group of ducks
The geese.....not as many as before, but still in the 1000's, I'm sure.
One fairly clear shot!
More of the Shovelers.
A more distant view of the geese.....large band in the back with stragglers near the road.
The Greater White-fronted Geese were hanging out on the other side of the road. Not a large flock, but several dozen scattered along this little water area.
We also saw a group of about 30-40 turkeys! They were behind branches, too. Couldn't get out of the car without spooking them.
I was hoping for migrating sandpipers and snipe and more ducks, but we might be a couple weeks too early. Still pretty cold. Maybe in March?
16 comments:
Lucky you, we don't get snow geese in these parts. I'd like to see one, like you'd like to see a loon.
Trips to Henderson certainly are worthwhile, aren't they Mary??? WOW--you saw so many great birds.... I cannot imagine seeing 1000 geese in one place... That's awesome.
AND--that Eagle is fabulous... Would love to see that one.
Hugs,
Betsy
Henderson looks like a great place to go Mary! How far away is it from you? In your 'One fairly clear shot' photo of the Geese. I'm pretty sure you have a Ross's Goose. The white goode on the left hand side with the smaller bill and shorter neck and rounder head. Look it up in a book and see what you think. They're much rarer than the Snow Goose. Love the Bald Eagle shots taken by Mike by the way! (-:
The other birds will come and once you have them there,they should shortly be making their way into my area.At least I hope so.
Some really lovely photos!! Have you lost all your snow already!!
I noticed yesterday while I was on my walk that the jays and some of the smaller birds are much more noisy than they were a week ago...
Pretty good shots Mary, especially of the Hawk.
I really like the photos of the watchers that you and your husband got. You always seem to come away with good pictures when you go to Henderson.
I so would love to get to photograph an eagle setting like that...in the perfect place. And what a wonderful place to go...would have really enjoyed being there.
Thanks everyone! I try to enjoy these geese each year while they are here. They are usually around all winter in this particular area. If I could "fly" across the Ohio River from our house, the distance wouldn't be shorter, but since we have to drive to the only bridge in the area and then head back through Henderson along the river, it ends up being about a 45 minute drive from our house to where the geese are. Can't do that every day unfortunately, but we try to go at least once a month.
Jenny: I see which one you mean, and it might be. I try to look through the shots I get of the large groups looking for a Ross's, but I know they are pretty rare. You might want to go back in my blog to the January photos and see if you can pick out any Ross's. I had a lot of close-ups on one of the trips we made down there. I thought I saw a dark adult Ross's, but then decided it wasn't. So hard to tell!
The eagle was a real bonus this trip! So were the turkeys!
Hi Mary, I had a look back in your January post and can't see any Ross's there. I'm 98% sure that one is a Ross's. It got all the right signs for one and generally have that more 'cute' look to it. It's always fun to look for something different anyway! (-:
Ruth, I agree you have at least 2 Ross's geese in the close-up shots of the snow geese. They have a rounder head and a little triangular pinkish blue bill lacking the typical "grin patch" of the snow geese. Your friend is correct! Is that a Life bird for you?
You got some nice photos!!
Wonderful! Yes, it is a life bird for me, which is always exciting. I probably see some every year in the huge mass of geese that come, but picking them out is difficult.
Fun trip... I loved the eagle... rare site for me in the city.
I do have geese in the field outside my kitchen window...and I love watching them everyday...
but TURKEYS? I've never gotten to see a mob of turkeys :)
Happy Sunday, Mary
Patrina <")>><
How exciting to see EAGLES!!!!
Another super trip Mary. Those eagle shots are supurb! Good job Mike! I love seeing all your different geese too. We only have the Canada's here.
Wonderful sightings, Mary! From geese to eagles to hawks and to turkeys...and plenty in between. This is a great post!
Post a Comment