Saturday, February 2, 2013

Northern Mockingbird.....

The Mockingbird....a.k.a. "Mr. Mean".  I don't know why I always say "mister"....it could be a female for all I know.  They look alike.  
This is his stare of intimidation :-)  Are you scared??  LOL
 Mockingbirds are very territorial.  I can drive around the countryside and city and see them fly across the road to their bush or tree that they are protecting.  Or just sitting on the wires nearby.  Easy to spot when flying because of their white wing patches and white on the tail.
 At our house our resident mockingbird flies back and forth between the bushes, the trees and the house and garage roofs to keep trying to chase the other birds away from "his" food source.
 He likes our suet in the winter and will fly down and chase smaller birds away.  I have so many feeders he must get tired of trying to protect them all and most of the birds ignore him.
 Up in the tree waiting to swoop on some bird that gets near his suet.
 Just flew in to chase someone away.  Unlike most of the birds he is not out there eating constantly.  He spends more time flying around then he seems to spend eating.
Time for a well-deserved bite of food. 
 Portrait
Resting 
Close-up 
 Wing intimidation or balance....not sure which :-)
"Well, it is MY feeder and you know it!"

11 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Seems like everyone is getting mockingbirds to their feeders these days EXCEPT me.... Darn--I don't know where they are, but they aren't near here.

Snowing like crazy here this morning --about 3 inches so far. SO pretty.

Hugs,
Betsy

Jenny said...

Some lovely shots of 'him' Mary! He'd do an awful lot better if he ate instead of flying around so much! Mind you, he looks pretty healthy! (-:

Janice K said...

I've never seen one up here, but I have seen them in St. Louis...Nice pictures.

A Colorful World said...

They certainly have personality! I love their music, though, and they really are pretty birds.

Ruth Hiebert said...

He is a handsome fella,or it could be a cute gal.Seems to me the photographer may be getting a scolding in the lads picture. LOL

Roy Norris said...

Although mainly grey it is a colourful bird Mary. Lovely shots.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...They are comical, and my neighbors don't like them in the summer when he sings all night long hahaha!!
I have had them stay all winter, but haven't seem one in a month at least!
You got some really good shots of the
"territorial terror" LOL
Grace

Rose said...

They are noisy characters, to say the least. At least the ones were at home. I don't think I have seen on near where we live now...but see them out at other places.

Richard Lawry said...

I get to listen to a mockingbird sing his song every morning on my walk
An Arkies Musings

Mary said...

Thanks, everyone! They are beautiful birds and I can tell from your comments that you all like them, even when they act very territorial :-) They do sing beautifully and with lots of variety.

Becky said...

Even those eyes look mean. They must "rule the roost!"