Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ezekiel Airship Museum....

I don't have any bird photos to post at the moment, so I thought I would post a few more things from our Texas trip.  When leaving Texas, we passed through a small town....Pittsburgh, TX....and saw a sign pointing the way to the "Ezekiel Airship Museum".  Huh????  What is that?  We were curious enough to stop and find out!
It the early 1900's, before the Wright Brothers took their flight at Kitty Hawk, a Baptist preacher-inventor in this town claims to have built and flown an airship first.  Rev. Burrell Cannon, after reading the book of Ezekiel, thought he understood what the "wheel within a wheel" was all about and designed and built this airship.  
 This is a full scale model of the original.  The whole story of the design and building of this was really interesting and if you want to know more go here.
It was a fascinating place to visit and see this.  Whether the claim to early flight is true or not......uncertain.


I'll post some more photos from another history museum on the same site in my next post.

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Very interesting, Mary... Bet your hubby really enjoyed that visit. Rev. Burrell Cannon must have been a 'character'... Interesting preacher and inventor for sure!!!! Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

Well, I had never heard of this...it really is interesting. I would love to know what he used to build the original....

Becky said...

Lots and lots of cool stuff to see. Good thing you stopped.

A Colorful World said...

What an interesting place! I had no idea this "airship" was created when it was, or that there is a museum to it. Glad you got to stop.

Cicero Sings said...

Sometimes those side leads really pay off. How interesting!