Sunday, July 3, 2011

Swallows on the Missouri River.......

We made a trip to St. Louis to pick my sister up at the airport, so of course I took the camera along.
This "drive-by" of the arch isn't very good, but I liked the sunlight shining on it.  This was through the windshield.
We had a couple of hours to kill before her plane landed, so we went to the St. Charles area across the Missouri River.  That is the bridge from St. Louis crossing the water in the distance.  The wire you see at the front is the anchor for a barge that you can walk out to. 
The wire was the resting place for a lot of Cliff Swallows that must live under the bridge that leads to the barge.
It was nice to get some photos of them this close.  I was trying to figure out if some of them were young ones.  This one looks adult.


"Did you notice that lady taking photos?"
I wondered if this was an adult and a young one.
Sitting pretty!
This is that same pair.
The one on the right has a spotty face.

"Who me?"
There were also some Barn Swallows that must live there, too.
Pouting
Screaming
"Go away!"
Checking under the wing.

Tilt



9 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Oh these are so good. I like the words you have added.

Kelly said...

...fantastic close-ups of the swallows! I love their sweet little faces every time I see them!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great pictures of the Swallows, Mary.... Glad you had some time in St. Louis. We drove through there ---and did SEE the arch.. BUT--we didn't stop..

Hugs,
Betsy

Janice K said...

Cute pictures. The bard swallow seemed to be putting on a show for you!

Dorothy said...

Cute pictures of these birds, Mary. I like your captions, too.

Katney said...

The birds seem to show considerable emotion in their facial expression.

Becky said...

I've not seen Cliff swallows before. Love those cute faces. Of course I love your stories too.
B.

Roy said...

A lovely set of Swallow shots Mary.

Rose said...

Swallows are just about the cutest of the birds!