Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tomorrow is the day the eagles from Virginia will be set free......

I've watched the eagle cam in Virginia since before the eggs were hatched.  It was so exciting to anticipate seeing the baby eagles.  Then the mother eagle was killed and the eaglets were sent to the Wildlife Center of Virginia to be raised until they were big enough to be set free in the wild.  Tomorrow is the big day!  At 11AM Eastern time, they will be released along with two other eagles they have been rehabing at the center.  I believe it will be video taped and shown.  It is wonderful to know that there are people out there doing all they can for wildlife.  Thanks to all who are responsible for helping set these young eagles free.  I wish I could be there to see this event.  They expect over 500 people to come who are just a fraction of those who have followed this trio since birth.

TOMORROW WE FLY FREE
They say tomorrow morning we fly free!
What does that mean to me?
Will there be no more walls around me, just open air on every side?
Will I at last soar high and long in endless skies of blue till my wings are tired?
There will be water below me in long flowing streams and large lakes.
No more a shallow pan that holds all the water I've ever seen or know....can it be true?
My eagle heart bursts with dreams of flying free....tomorrow.....
I'll know what it means to me, what it means to be an eagle who's flying free!

4 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

You are right, Mary... So many wonderful people do so much to help the wildlife. Thanks to all of them...
Hugs,
Betsy

George said...

It's wonderful that the eagles are being released. I'm glad they survived in spite of the death of their mother.

Dorothy said...

Nice poem about the Eagles. We have enjoyed watching the Eagles that live around here. I'm so glad to see that they are getting established in this area.

Rose said...

I don't know how, but I missed this a few minutes ago when here...love your poem.