Thursday, July 28, 2011

Odds and Ends at home....

I haven't been taking many photos, but emptied the camera and found a few from the feeders.
The Goldfinches look so pretty in the summer and on the yellow flowers they look even better....I think he knows that :-)
I think this is a young Towhee!  Was surprised to see it show up at the "driveway diner" one afternoon.  That long black tail and the wings are the clues to its identity.
A dragonfly that has stationed itself on this dead branch I tied to a pole to make the birds feel more at home.  I see it in this same spot every day.  I think it might be a Slaty Skimmer, but it is rather large.
My raccoons still visit late at night.
Oh, he is just so pretty, I had to post a second shot :-)
A welcome visitor that I haven't seen much of lately....the Red-bellied Woodpecker male.
Another shot of him.
This Downy did not want that little House Sparrow to join him at the suet.  I don't have as many young House Sparrows as last year, but there are several around.
"My turn!"  Chickadee...dee....dee
A young looking Titmouse.  I think I've seen youngsters of most of my regular birds hanging around.  I never figured out what happened with that House Wren nest in the gourd I was watching.  He was taking in food regularly and then suddenly I didn't see him doing it any more.

5 comments:

Judy said...

I totally agree about that goldfinch! He is so proud of himself!

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Your Goldfinch on the flower is just lovely...seconds~ yes~ thank you lol
I like the Red Bellied Woodpecker ..I don't see them here!!

Dorothy said...

You make such good pictures of your birds!!! The Goldfinch is beautiful!! I need to plant sunflowers! The woodpecker is very special as I don't get to see many of those. Hope your day is good!

Ruth Hiebert said...

Those Goldfinches with the yellow flower is a perfect as can be.

Becky said...

You gotta love the Goldfinches. I have lots too.
I haven't seen any Red-bellied in a long time. Probably very early in the Spring, and the Coons, come and go, but I haven't seen them either, but know they are here.
B..