Monday, July 18, 2011

Marblehead Lighthouse, Sandusky, Ohio.......

Marblehead Lighthouse is the oldest continuously operating light on the Great Lakes. (June 22, 1822-- to present).  I had not been there for years and it has become more "touristy" looking since they made it a state park in 1998.  But it is a very attractive light and I am glad we went.
The long view with lots of people and the lake.
The top of the light.  It is open one Saturday a month in the summer, but we weren't there for that.  87 steps to the top......hummmm....guess I'm not sorry to miss the climb!
It was originally called the Sandusky Bay Light because it is at the mouth of Sandusky Bay.  On the opposite side of the bay is the equally famous Cedar Point Amusement Park.  Known as a "white knuckle" park, I believe the current count on roller coasters is 17.  We used to take our kids there every year while on vacation.  They loved it and so did we!  It is also famous for the Hotel Breakers (built 1905) located on the lake front.  They have stuffed several other hotels in the space now, but you used to see nothing but the sands, the lake, and the Breakers as you road the roller coasters near the lakeside.
The view out towards the lake.  The rocky shore covered in algae.
I love watching the waves come in on the rocks and green stuff.
Another shot with fewer people.
A view from the keeper's cottage yard.
The door and windows.
I loved these hollyhocks.
The Keeper's House is now a museum.  It is not the original keeper's house, which is further down the road.  Marblehead had the first female keeper on the Great Lakes......she took over after her husband died.

The Fresnel lens.
I liked this painting of the light in winter.
misc. stuff :-)
Ships

After leaving Marblehead, we stopped at the Mon Ami Winery on the way back to Huron.
All in all a pleasant day driving around the lake edge, reliving old memories of our childhood.

6 comments:

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...wonderful post...love every bit of it..from the light house to the Hollyhocks..museum to out building...so very nice!!
Have a great week ... still hot and humid here!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

THis was a wonderful tour around the area.The Lighthouse is beautiful and well kept.I especially like the shot with the Hollyhocks in the foreground.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I remember seeing that Lighthouse in 2002 when George and I were on our way to Niagara Falls. So gorgeous.

And George remembers all of that area from his Indiana childhood... BUT--we neither one knew about the first woman light keeper on the Great Lakes. NEAT!!!!

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy

Dorothy said...

Great pictures, Mary! I like lighthouses and the Hollyhocks are beautiful! We had pick ones growing in our yard when I was a child. I enjoyed the tour!

George said...

Thanks for all the memories. I used to live in northwestern Ohio, and Sandusky, Marblehead, Cedar Point were all places we would visit at least once a year. Cedar Point has more roller coasters than the last time I was there, however.

Rose said...

I like this...never been there and enjoyed seeing your photos.