Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Goldfinches love their sunflower seeds fresh....

The Goldfinches love this time of year.  Sunflowers and all the other yellow flowers are blooming and full of seeds.
I looked out the other day and these two males were bobbing up and down on the little volunteer sunflowers trying to pick out the seeds.
"This leaf is in my way!"
They are very agile little acrobats.
This one got all fluffed up to scare away another male Goldfinch.
"These flowers need stronger stems!  I'm almost on the ground"
"Balance....it takes perfect balance."
"...and bending....lots of bending!"
"Got one!"
They are experts at eating upside down.
Lots of seeds still there to get.
Sometimes it is a real struggle.
"If I could just get this leaf out of the way, I could reach the seeds!"
"Maybe if I try the down-under approach."
"Stop laughing...its not as easy as it looks!"
"Hmmm....maybe these other flowers would taste just as good."
"You know, she puts the seeds in these wire things, if you guys get tired of doing it the hard way!"

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Oh, Mary! I love these pictures of your Goldfinch! They have about left us.

grammie g said...

Hi mary...cute little fellows they are and I love to hear them singing!!
Those who know that the feeder may be smart,but those who seek and find may be the better for it...
Loved the photo and so comical there antics!!

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are great captures.YOu caught the action so well.

Rose said...

We ran through the strip pits last night and on the way out the goldfinches were just thick....

George said...

We don't have any sunflowers around the house, but the goldfinch are sure visiting our feeders in record numbers.

Arija said...

Ha, ha, they do a great squirrel impersonation!

Katney said...

I admire the thought process.

Becky said...

So much fun watching the Goldfinches and their acrobatics.
I seem to have quite a few too.
B.