Friday, January 6, 2023

2022 Catching up: Part 1: Snakey Point

 2022 was such a great year for seeing birds and I have decided that I want to catch up my blog with the sightings from Sept.-Dec.  This will be repetitious for anyone who also looks at my photos on Facebook.  Back in Sept. and again in October we went to a place called Snakey Point.  A large marsh/pond it attracts many migrating birds.  I found a lot of egrets and some shorebirds.

I'm not good at identifying shorebirds, so I won't try.


There were two types of egrets....the Great Egret and the Snowy Egret which is smaller.


A Snowy Egret

Snowy Egrets
The lotus blooms were huge and the snowy egrets liked wandering around among them.



When we went back in October the egrets were still there....about 48 of them!  Mostly Great Egrets this time.  I had never seen so many at one time before.
A Great Egret




I call these two "the old married couple"

It was an amazing place and I plan to go back to this place for spring migration.  How many waders depends on whether there has been a lot of rain or not and how shallow the water is.  The first day there were quite a few, the second trip there were only a couple.
I think this is a Tennessee Warbler that we saw as we were leaving.

No comments: