Thursday, May 29, 2014

Variety at the wetlands....

I feel like I should keep apologizing for not posting or getting around to blogs.  I do have some photos I want to post, but I seem to keep getting busy with other things (quilting, family) and not posting the photos. 
I've made two recent trips to the wetlands and it is starting to come alive with summer visitors.  This is the Common Whitetail male dragonfly. 
 I thought I knew what this was when I took its photo, but then I noticed the weird tail....now I'm not sure what dragonfly it is.  Is this what they call a clubtail?
There were several of the saddlebag dragons flying around and usually I can't get their photos because they won't stop anywhere.  This one did!  I had the light in a bad place and couldn't tell the color of it..... 
......but later I saw another one sitting and it is a Red Saddlebag Dragonfly.  My first red dragonfly of any sort! 
 The flowers along the boardwalk were very pretty....wild iris.
 Fungi on various stumps and logs.

Canada Geese were browsing the clover. 
A few went swimming. 
I think the one on the right is on a nest. 
 Haven't seen any babies at the wetlands yet.  Not very many geese there this year. 
 A Green Heron.....if it hadn't moved I would never have seen it.
Grackle on the boardwalk.  They were stalking all around the edges of the creek and ponds.
This one had a worm of some sort. 
One Great Blue Heron stalking the side of the marsh. 

Eastern Pondhawk male dragonfly 
Very few turtles on the logs, but several were swimming close by. 
 You may have to click on this to see the feet better....it was a fairly small turtle.
Turtle nose...covered in green.... 
 .....more noses....

A Red-bellied Woodpecker way up high on a dead tree.  Not the ideal angle for photos. 
That's it for the moment.

8 comments:

Patrinas Pencil said...

Nice shots, Mary. I love the shots of the turtles. That's pretty awesome that you can see that many different dragonflies. I've never seen any of these you've shown. The weird tail one is pretty cool. thanks for taking the time to post. Its the summer season....time does fly by so fast. just make sure you enjoy it

Patrina <")>><

Ruth Hiebert said...

You always manage to get such interesting pictures. I like the dragonfly ones,since I am terrible at getting pictures of these.

Caroline Gill said...

I always enjoy seeing those turtles, Mary ... and the red dragonfly is magnificent.

Janice K said...

It is amazing how the turtle's colors blend right in with that slimy green stuff they like to swim in. Nice pictures!

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great to hear from you, Mary. I can understand BUSY... Life sometimes gets in the way of blogging... ha.... We have to keep that healthy balance for sure.

Great photos from the wetlands... You have such a great place to go for new photos....Love them all.
Hugs,
Betsy

Rose said...

Sitting here waiting for the Tootie to get up and thought I would see what you had posted...my...you have a load of nice photos! Some great shots of dragonflies! I love seeing them.

Kerri Farley said...

Lovely captures Mary!!!

A Colorful World said...

You got some fabulous shots! Love the dragonflies. Those wetlands are such a treasure trove! I will be posting an actual water bird later today (not my usual thing! :-) ) and I have had to stay on top of the postings to get all my Madera Canyon (and trip back) pictures posted in a reasonable amount of time! Oh, cowboy's fried egg sounds like a great name for the flower! I thought it was a marsh mallow but couldn't see anything "marshy" around so I wasn't sure. Anni (who used to live here) said she thinks it's a globe mallow. Yes, isn't that area vastly different from Tucson! They get more rain and are at a higher elevation. It was interesting to drive through.