Saturday, February 22, 2014

Last bird and animal views from Tucson.....

Time to post the last of my bird and animal shots from vacation.  I have scenery shots I may post yet from Sabino Canyon and Mt. Lemon.  Also went to a really neat miniature museum, but that doesn't fit my blog very well.  It is hard to stay concentrated on a vacation once you are back home.
Not an exciting shot, but with a nice variety of birds.  A Black-necked Stilt standing near the water, several sleeping Shoveler Ducks, I think that smaller pair of ducks might be the Teals we saw elsewhere, and on the lower right a Killdeer or two.  These are all hanging around one of the large holding ponds of water from the treatment plant.  I've done some of my best birding at places that are connected to water treatment plants. 
Another shot of the stilt. 
 In the more tranquil ponds surrounded by cat tails in the wetland area, a pair of coots.  The water here is so nice and makes wonderful reflections of everything.
 A female duck cleaning up in front of a little bush/tree.
Snoozing 
Saw this lovely Flicker that was just dying to pose for me!  I love cooperative birds :-)  
After much studying of the head in the bird book, I finally had to decide it was the common  Red-shafted Flicker and not the Gilded Flicker, which I would have preferred.  The color on the head just doesn't seem to go back far enough and the under tail area was more reddish then yellow.
A gorgeous bird, no matter what Flicker it might be! 

Green-winged teal males 
Another....just liked the reflections on this and the one below. 

I believe this is the juvenile Moorhen? 


 Female Ruddy Duck
 Squirrel.....can't seem to find out for sure what kind.  
They have one called the Rock Squirrel, but I don't know if this is it or not.
The squirrels and bunnies are probably what the Bobcat was hoping to find. 
Shoveler male doing some preening. 

Saw the Sora one last time! 
 It is really small.  It went swimming across the water and I almost didn't get its photo.
 Good old Starling.
A turtle! 
 Made me feel right at home.  The turtles here are probably still hiding in the mud wishing spring would come. 
White-crowned Sparrow?

10 comments:

Kerri Farley said...

Oh my goodness....these are stunning! LOVE LOVE LOVE that Flicker and the shoveler preening is breathtaking!
I do believe your last one is a white-crowned sparrow :)

Ruth Hiebert said...

It is treat to see all these birds.It will be a while before they show up here.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, Looks like you all have had a great time in Tucson...There are many many different birds to see there--and you got some great photos (of them and of the other critters including that bobcat). Yipes....

Hope you are making it through this hard winter. We haven't had a lot of snow---but we have had some frigid temperatures at times...

NOW---I'm ready for spring. Bet you are too.
Hugs,
Betsy

Nature in the Burbs said...

Great series of photos.

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for this great post Mary. You shared some birds I had never seen before and some that I have seen you identified for me. Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

Hi Mary. You certainly had some great finds in Tucson. . he Flicker shots are wonderful as are all the ducks preening.

Rose said...

Oh, Mary...what a wonderful mix of birds. Love the flicker shots..they are awesome. And just simply love the variety you captured.

Kathie Brown said...

Mary, I can't believe it's been a year already since you were there and we met each other. You did well on all your sightings and are correct about the flicker being the Northern Flicker. We have a lot of them at Sweetwater at this time of year. It seems the Gilded flickers have been scarce this winter and I had to work to find one before I moved away. I finally found one in Saguaro NP. Your squirrel is a rock squirrel. You can tell by his chubby appearance and the speckled look to his coat. I am glad you made it back again and had such a good time.

Janice K said...

My, what a bunch of different birds--ones you don't usually see. That must have been lots of fun!!

A Colorful World said...

You got some really great shots at Sweetwater, Mary! I need to answer your email! :-( I'm behind with everything. Trying to finish the quilt before Quilt Guild tomorrow night! Especially love the great view of the Sora, and the shots of the Flicker are awesome!!!