We finally succeeded in getting to Tucson late Monday night. I spent my first morning on my sister's patio taking photos of the birds that came to her backyard.
Mourning Dove. Just like at home, but it was willing to sit for the camera.
Lesser Goldfinch
Several of the Goldfinches flitted in and out of the trees all morning.
Saw both the female and male Gila Woodpecker.
The female has no red on its head.
The male has that little red circle on the top of its head. Sharing the suet with a House Sparrow.
Can you tell I like woodpeckers :-) They were posing so nicely.
Out here there are many House Finches that have this yellow/orange color instead of the red back home.
The female Phainopepla above....gray..... and the male below....black.
I wish I could catch them in flight. They have beautiful white wing patches.
Gambel's Quail.
I saw a few other birds but didn't get good photos.
It is WARM here....feels so good!
I'm looking forward to forgetting about winter for at least a week.



















7 comments:
Great pictures of their different birds. It's fun to see 'new' birds.
WOW! look at that BLUE BLUE sky! awesome backdrop for those nice closeups. All those birds were in her back yard? So nice to see summer weather pictures. Im ready for warm too.
have a lovely time!
Stunning woodpeckers, Mary! Enjoy the sunshine ...
Have a great time! I loved seeing some birds that I've never seen before in person.
It must be a real treat to capture these images.
Boy, do I wish i was there with you...though it did get above freezing here today. And saying up to 50 some time next week.
I would also love to see these birds for real. The Gambel's quail is so beautiful.
Your sister's yard is certainly alight with birds! I love the shots! I have to say, I never noticed a yellowish red on the house finches, of which I have many. They appear to look the same as the ones in my Mom's yard back in Va. Did you see more than one like that? Maybe it's an anomaly of some kind. Glad you are here!
Post a Comment