Thursday, February 20, 2014

Bobcat stroll at Sweetwater.....

I always get pleasant surprises when I am out birding, and this last trip to Sweetwater certainly provided one!  While walking along looking for birds, I saw Mike frantically waving for me to back up to where he was standing.  Just then a bobcat comes strolling casually around the corner!
They are such gorgeous animals!  But I was concerned that it didn't seem to mind us standing there (very quietly) taking photos.   
It wandered along the edge of the vegetation and we wandered along behind it at a reasonable distance. 
 Isn't the tail cute?
This shot gives you a little perspective on the size of the cat, the very tall cat-tails along the water, and the trees.  They are one of the smallest wild cats....about 32" long on average?
 A look at the ears
After it did a little watching from the edge of this observation platform, it crossed the path we were on and disappeared through a fence.  We watched ducks from the observation platform for a while. 
As we were leaving, I decided to take a photo of the fence....I couldn't believe the bobcat could fit through the holes in the fence.  While looking at the fence and taking photos, I realized that the bobcat was still lying there on the other side under the shade of the tree!  We are standing there looking at it and talking and the bobcat never moved!  Maybe that is a little too friendly for me, but I enjoyed getting the photos!
***********
We are back in Indiana....not without a great deal of airline difficulty again....but I will be posting a few more Tucson posts before I am done.

11 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Great shots.

Dorothy said...

Mary, these are wonderful pictures! How exciting!

Arija said...

So glad you were able to fly south for some warmth and only wish I could have gone somewhere with snow when our temps. topped 109!!
Lovely to see the bobcat and maybe it is not shy of humans because it lives near the observation point and sees a lot of them.
Glad you are safely home even if you may still have a blizzard or two before spring comes.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary... Wow what a great "tail" that is!!
Great photos of this beautiful animal!! Amazing how he was not disturbed with your presences!!
Now I used to see them all the time growing up living in Northern Maine,
they would come right into the yard. but I ran like the dickens to get inside Lol!!

Grace

Patrinas Pencil said...

Very beautiful indeed. Can't believe it seemed so peaceful in your presence...even stalking him :) I would say that his behavior speaks of a peaceful calm spirit within you that was not a threat to him.

Awesome shots! thanks for sharing those.

Glad you are home safe and sound.

Margaret Birding For Pleasure said...

HI Mary Those shots are awesome. I would have loved to see that bobcat in person. Have a great weekend

A Colorful World said...

Wow! I am so jealous! I knew a bobcat lived there but we haven't seen him. Still, I haven't been out very often. Guess I better head back out! :-)

Rose said...

Oh, I love their ears...would love to see one this close and get to observe it for a while. You were sure blessed.

Glad you are back home safe and sound!

Janice K said...

I was wondering if you would see a Bobcat again this year..

Kerri Farley said...

WOW - what a cool sighting!!!!

Kathie Brown said...

Wow, Mary! those were some amazing views!