Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Not much to post, but I'm still around......

Spring is coming.....very slowly!  I looked out at our pond the other morning and there were three Wood Ducks out there....2 males and 1 female.  
 They were exploring the neighbor's yard looking for food and then went for a swim.
 I don't think we have ever had Wood Ducks on the pond before!  I hope they find a nesting spot in the woods that they like.

One sure sign of spring coming....the Goldfinches are starting to turn yellow again.
 A Mourning Dove down below searching for some seed.
 They always look "messy" during their molt, but it is interesting to see the yellow feathers appear.  You don't realize just how dingy they looked until they are half and half like this.
 The yard is full of weeds.....but, hey....they are cheerful in color!
I think we better plan on some re-seeding and weed killing from the looks of this.  I don't mind the weeds, but I guess grass would look better.  I'm sure the neighbors would prefer to see nice green grass.
Well....just wanted to let you know that I was still alive :-)  Someday, I might actually have something good to post again!

9 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Mary, You'll have to check out my blog (Monday's) showing the differences in March of 2012 and March of 2013 in our yard. Unbelievable...

AND--it's still cold. We had some sleet tonight.. BUT--they say we will have a warm weekend ahead... YEAH!

Our Goldfinches are also getting their pretty yellow colors now... So gorgeous!!!

Hope your Wood Ducks stay around.

Hugs,
Betsy

Caroline Gill said...

Well, Mary, the characters in your post may not seem particularly exciting to you, but to those of us who live elsewhere, they are pretty unusual - and delightful, too. Your Goldfinches are so different to ours - and so tame. Those Wood Ducks are beautiful: I wonder if they are really wild? I think we are all on the cusp of Spring, waiting for it to lurch into action. But it has certainly been a long and bitter winter here. I have still to see my first ladybird, and the local observatory is still waiting on the return of migrant birds. But at least our spring flowers are opening up and the birds are pairing and seeking nesting material. Lovely to see your pond!

Janice K said...

Wood ducks are always a good sign up here. I haven't seen any yet, but we don't have much water standing in our valley this year, so I may not.

Let's hope the warm weekend helps some of those flowers open.

Becky said...

I know it can be tough sometimes this time of the year to find something good to post, but you seem to have plenty. The goldfinches here are turning too, and I spent time yesterday trying to get good shots to no advail. The are just too busy.
I love wood ducks, and I really hope some nest on "our" creek this summer.

grammie g said...

Hi Mary...Yes I have noticed the Goldfinches doing there magic trick to bright yellow ; )
The Wood Ducks are very pretty, I don't think I have seen them before!!
Hope they hang around for you!!
Nice to see all is well!!
Thank you so much for the Easter card. Easter crept up on me so quick this year !!
Also thanks for all you kind comments on my post's : )
Grace

Jenny said...

Hi Mary, I'm glad to see that Spring is nearly with you. We've had an extended winter here too. It's still really cold! I kind of like those Goldfinches half and half! As you say, interesting!

Ruth Hiebert said...

You do have something to post.The Wood Ducks and Goldfinches are a pretty sight.Hope you are having a good week.

Rose said...

I think wood ducks are just soooo gorgeous...I can't remember if I have ever seen one in real life but I sure would love to.

Judy said...

Something good to post is all relative! If the weather does not give you flowers, then you post what you have...
I am trying to turn the lawn into wildflowers, mostly clover. It stays green in the summer drought months...