You all know that I love to look at quilt squares on barns and buildings all over the USA. Well, on Monday a good friend who grew up in Kentucky and another good friend, who acted as driver for the day, took me on a driving tour of the quilt squares in Union County Kentucky. They are really crazy about the idea down there and squares abounded on barns, buildings, schools, hospitals.....you name it! We saw a total of 23, not counting the ones below. We didn't get to all of the ones in the area, but I hope to go back and get more since this isn't very far from Evansville.
The library in Morganfield, KY has covered the back wall of their building with these quilt squares! It was pretty amazing! Difficult to get a shot of the whole building and on a busy day, there were lots of cars. I believe I counted 33 squares on the back of the building. They are all done in memory of someone.
I'll sort of "stitch" together a panorama of close-up shots. It made me want to rush out and make all these quilts! I have always wanted a Drunkard's Path quilt....the red and white square in the top left corner.
There was such an interesting variety to choose from!
I like the large scrappy bowtie.
I don't know the name of that colorful swirling one....but I like it!
The large Carpenter's Wheel is nice!
Dogwood blossoms, Lone Star and lots of nice small ones
This end of the building was hardest to photograph.
Of course this bird block was one of my favorites!
And the butterflies!
Grandmother's Flower Garden
I liked the paisley "fabric" on this one! Someone did a great job of painting these!
At the edge of the parking lot there was this neat tree sculpture for the Union County Bicentennial.
Each root had a word carved on it.....here we have Industry, Education, and Agriculture. Others were Faith, Diversity, Community, Coal, River.....that's all I remember.
I had to show the "library cat" hanging on the wall inside.
It was a very nice library inside. I was amazed that one thing they do is allow people to check out jigsaw puzzles. I wish my library did that! I wonder how they keep them from losing the pieces?
Margaret....my navigator, and Cheryl....the driver, walking down the ramp in the library.
And Margaret walked us around the courthouse next door to show us the "bull monument".
"Union County Kentucky.....the first county in the United States to have only Pure Bred Bulls".
***********
I have more quilt squares from Morganfield and Sturgis to post tomorrow! Very few that we saw are on barns, but it was interesting to see how many there were and how much the people here are backing this idea. They are in the process of getting a new map made with all the newest ones on it.
12 comments:
I found this very interesting, Mary--we don't have that here at all. Credit has to go to the painters who so skillfully reproduced the quilts on to the building!
Wow!! That is a lot of quilt blocks! Seeing the crinoline ladies made me think of a pillowcase I had many years ago - the lower edge of her skirt was the opening of the pillowcase. I don't remember how big the pillowcase was, that the rest of her fit, without making seams that were uncomfortable to sleep on...
And I love the library cat!!
What a really COOL idea to paint those squares on the library wall. Thanks for sharing. I don't know which is my favorite either. I like them all. and I'm impressed that you know so many names too.
Love the library cat.
Oh, Mary, these are wonderful. I am always amazed at some of the patterns used and wonder just how they did them so perfectly!
Very interesting and pretty post! That must take a very skilled artist to paint such intricate and accurate designs! I know you were in 'Quilt Heaven'!
Hi Mary...I can through Sandy unscaved... rattled nerves, power outages, and a helpless feeling for those in the path..was what I had from it!!
Gorgeous quilts!! The talent and patients just blows me away!!
What fun to spent time with friends and enjoy something you love!!
Grace
Did I thank you for the cute card?
Well I will thank you now anyway,
Thanks : )
WOW!!! People go to a lot of work to do these painted quilts. That is an amazing sight.
That library is amazing! What a fun place to visit.
Looking at those quilt blocks it is easy to forget that they ARE painted on. A lot of work and kept up!
Love the library cat. I too am amazed that they check out puzzles.
Oh, Mary, I LOVE these! What an awesome place!
I meant to tell you, too, that I'm glad you enjoyed my little teapot!
Wow---I've never seen so many quilt squares like that.. That is AWESOME. We saw some Quilt Barns when we drove through Kentucky and into Ohio last month.... Love seeing them!!!
Hugs,
Betsy
Post a Comment